The Department of Biotechnology was founded in 2009 with a vision to make an impact through research and technology-based training. The department has teaching and research programs that encompass various basic and applied aspects of modern biotechnology. The department is successfully running undergraduate (B.Tech), postgraduate (M.Sc and M.Tech), PG diploma in Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine and Ph.D. Programmes. The scheme of courses has been designed keeping in the demand trend in mind. A conscious effort has been made so that the curriculum of each program integrates courses of biological sciences and engineering with relevant laboratory programs and a compulsory research project of variable duration.
Objective of Department
The main objective of the Department is to provide academic training and conduct research in the interdisciplinary areas of biotechnology with particular emphasis on extending the knowledge generated from these studies towards the development of technologies of commercial significance.
All the basic infrastructural facilities needed for conducting teaching and research programs in different areas of Biotechnology have been developed in the department. The department is housed in a newly constructed building consisting of classrooms with audio-visual facilities well-equipped Research laboratories, a special lab for Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering, Plant Tissue Culture, Microbial technology, Nanobiotechnology, and Bioinformatics. The students undergo project training in modern Biotechnology viz Bioinformatics, Genomics, Neurobiology, NanoBiotechnology, Water Management, Cancer Biology, Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, etc.
The Mission of the department are mentioned below -
- Research and Innovation- Research and Innovation bridge the gap between the biotechnology frontiers and innovation, to provide cutting edge original research in plant, animal, medical, industrial and environmental biotechnology.
- Excellent in Engineering Skills- Typically, to provide the ability to manufacturer existing medicines in a relatively easy and cheaper manner than some Pharmaceutical companies, some key skills sets which we support in this sector include: Bioinformatics, Research & Development, Quality Assurance, Bioprocessing, Upstream and Downstream Processing, Gene Therapy and Biotechnologist
- Professional Ethics- Ethical issues arise across the entire life cycle of a biotechnological product or technique, from laboratory research to broader testing, to product development, to general diffusion and uses.
- Industry Interaction- An institutional initiative with university-industry interaction to develop innovative biotechnology.
- Training in the State of art areas- To provide excellent hands-on training with state of the art lectures to graduate/post-graduate candidates either pursuing or passed out in the field of Biotechnology, Stem Cell, and Regenerative Medicine, Molecular biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Food Process Technology & other related fields of life sciences. It is dedicated to provide new talent to biotech/pharma industries & research organizations by giving advance industrial training through the team of expert & young scientists/ research associates.
- Software development skills- To identify trends in engineering work in three rapidly growing and technology-intensive industries: biotechnology, software development, and information technology.
- To become a global centre for higher learning in pursuit of academic excellence, innovation, and entrepreneurship in various disciplines of Biotechnology.
- M1: To adapt and update students with rapidly changing technologies through self-improvement with continuous learning and professional ethics.
- M2: To enable students for community-collaborative learning processes beyond classrooms in various disciplines of biotechnology.
- M3: To conduct cutting-edge multi-disciplinary research in plant, animal, medical, industrial, microbial, and environmental biotechnology.
- M4: To motivate and train students for industrial practices, higher studies, lifelong learning skills, and entrepreneurship.
The department faculty has also been contributing to high-quality research in front line areas of Biotechnology. The Department has collaborated with national and international institute namely Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Science (DRDO LAB, Delhi), Institute of Genomics and integrated biology (CSIR LAB, Delhi), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-D), Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Indian Agriculture Research Institute, etc.
- MoU Signed between Sharda University and StemGenn Therapeutics, New Delhi
- MoU Signed between Sharda University and Pathfinder Research and Training Foundation, Greater Noida (UP)
The faculty members of the department are excellent teachers and research scientists, and they have published papers in high impact factor peer-reviewed journals, including JAD, BBA, APCS, JTM, Genes (MDPI), JBC, FASEB, PloS One, Pharmacogenomics, BMC Genomics, Journal of Immunology, Scientific Reports - Nature and Journal of Neuroscience.
Dr. Saurabh Kumar Jha (Assistant Professor) has received the “Best Stem Cell Researcher Award 2019” by Prof Dr. Michele Zocchi, University of Turin, Italy. Prof. Zocchi is recognized as one of the most prominent professionals in the field of adipose tissue physio-pathology and engineering, body-contouring surgery and regenerative medicine. Dr. Jha has also conferred with “Commendable Research Excellence Award DTU 2018” from Delhi Technological University, Delhi.
Dr. Dinesh Singh (Principal Scientist), Division of Plant Pathology (Indian Agriculture Research Institute New Delhi) also agreed that the projects performed by our UG and PG students are of good quality. He said I have been in the academics for more than 25 years, and am extremely impressed by the earnestness of the students of Biotechnology Department to learn and their effort to prove themselves. I found them to be really smart in tackling problems in a new area of research. I must appreciate the effort of the Department for grooming its students for various industries and agriculture so rigorously.
The university has recognized the significant role being played by biotechnologists in industrial development and has sought to implement an integrated approach towards education and research. The department strongly believes a teacher has to be involved in active research to be in touch with the recent development in the subject to deliver the latest know-how. The department has a strong interdisciplinary research and teaching base in biological sciences and engineering which prepares the student for the industry as well as research programs.