About the Programme
Department of Biotechnology started with a vision to impart in-depth knowledge of biotechnology to create a pool of scientific personnel with expertise in biological engineering. Since then the department has endeavoured to educate and train its students to develop proficiency in each sector of biotechnology. The scheme of courses has been designed keeping in the demand trend in mind. A conscious effort has been made so that curriculum of each programme integrates courses of biological sciences and engineering together with relevant laboratory programs and a compulsory research project of variable duration. The university has recognized the significant role being played by biotechnologists in industrial development and has sought to implement an integrated approach towards education and research. The department strongly believes a teacher has to be involved in active research to be in touch with the recent development in the subject so as to deliver the latest know-how. The department has a strong interdisciplinary research and teaching base in biological sciences and engineering which prepares the student for industry as well as research programs.
All the basic infrastructural facilities needed for conducting teaching and research programmes in different areas of Biotechnology have been developed in the department. The department is housed in a newly constructed building consisting of classrooms with audio-visual facilities well-equipped students laboratories research laboratories special lab for molecular biology genetic engineering plant tissue culture Microbial technology nano biotechnology and bioinformatics. the students undergo project training in modern biotechnology viz bioinformatics genomics nano biotechnology cancer cell signaling plant and animal Biotechnology structure base drug design neuro biology etc.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1: Graduates will integrate their knowledge of basic sciences with engineering principles for pursuing excellence in various disciplines of biotechnolog
- PEO2: Graduates will demonstrate the applications of biotechnological principles through research and entrepreneurship for development of designs and processes that are of societal and industrial importance.
- PEO3:  Graduates will adapt to and update with rapidly changing biotechnological knowledge through self-improvement with continuous learning about the solutions to solve the societal and environmental problems.
- PEO4: Graduates will develop leadership, independent thinking, and communication skills to solve problems professionally and ethically in academia, research, industry, and business for societal development
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2: Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3: Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6: The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7: Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9: Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11: Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12: Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO1: Evaluate biotechnological techniques to identify, and characterize biomolecules and organisms, critical for sustaining life processes and their industrial applications.
- PSO2:Analyze cellular pathways in living organisms and manipulating them to improve health, agricultural or industrial products.
- PSO3:Implement knowledge and research abilities in tissue engineering, stem cell research and other biotechnological process and bioinformatics for product development.