Dr. S. Packirisamy
- Area Of Interest
- Skill Set
- Award & Recognition
- Research & Publications
Dr. S. Packirisamy joined Sharda University in July 2017 as Professor of Chemistry, School of Basic Sciences & Research (SBSR).
Dr. Packirisamy obtained MSc in Chemistry and Ph.D. in Science (Polymer Chemistry) from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur in 1978 and 1982 respectively. His PhD thesis was on Synthetic Ion-Exchange Resins from N-vinyl carbazole and poly(N-vinyl carbazole). He was UNESCO Fellow (Oct. 1982 to Sep. 1983) in the Department of Polymer Science & Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan and worked on the anionic living polymerization of protected functional group containing vinyl monomers and on completion of the UNESCO program he was awarded International Post-Graduate Diploma in Chemistry & Chemical Engineering. He worked in the R&D Centre, Berger Paints India Ltd., Calcutta during the period Jan. 1984-May 1986 as Research Officer and was involved in the development of water-borne coating and acrylic thickeners.
He joined the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Indian Space Research Organization, Thiruvananthapuram in June 1986 and superannuated in December 2015. Occupied several positions such as Project Manager (Space Capsule Recovery Experiment), Head, Ceramic Matrix Products Division, Group Director, Analytical Spectroscopy & Ceramics Group and Deputy Director-VSSC (PCM Entity). He initiated the work on Polymer-derived Ceramics and continued to work in this field until his superannuation. He has established the state-of-the-art research laboratories, viz., Integrated Ceramic Matrix Product Facility and High-Temperature Ceramic Materials Laboratory. He is credited for establishing processing facilities including a CVI furnace for the development of Ceramic Matrix Composite. He has completed 42 Technology
Development Programs and Advanced R&D Prorgrams with a funding of about Rs. 20 crores. His team has been responsible for the development of oxidation resistant silicon carbide coating for C/C composite components which were flown in RLV-TD and air-breathing engine module in 2016. Some of the preceramic polymers developed by his team have been transferred to industry.
While working in VSSC/ISRO he availed 2 years leave (Jan. 1992-Jan. 1994) and worked as Research Associate in Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA on Atomic Oxygen Resistant Coatings for Low Earth Orbit Space Structures and as Visiting Scientist in Michigan Molecular Institute on Multi-component Polyblends and Recycling of Plastics.
Besides his contribution in the area of polymer-derived ceramics he has also contributed in area of high temperature polymers, adhesives and coatings.
He has won many awards including ISRO Merit Award (2014) and Acharya P. C. Ray ICC Award for Indigenization of Chemicals (Team Award) and ICC Award for the Design of Chemical Plants (Team Award). He has guided 8 PhD scholars and 15 post-graduate students.
Has to his credit 9 Indian Patents and 5 Indian Patent Applications, 3 reviews in International Journals and 3 book chapters, 45 research publications in International journals and 79 papers presented in national and international symposia. He has delivered 60 invited lectures in India and abroad and represented ISRO in the 7th International Symposium on High Temperature Materials held in Bayreuth, Germany (2010).
He has been a Visiting Consultant to DACC Carbon Co., Ltd., Jeonju, Jenonbuk, South Korea (2017).
- 35 years of research experience
- Ph.D,, International Post-graduate diploma in Chemistry & Chemical Engineering (UNESCO Fellow, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan)
Thermostructural materials for aerospace applications, Preceramic polymers and polymer-derived ceramics, Space applications of polymer-derived ceramics, Polymer-derived ceramics for energy systems, Inorganic and organometallic polymers, Inorganic-organic hybrid materials, Ceramics and Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMCs), Oxidation resistant ceramic coatings, Thermal barrier coatings for metallic substrates and CMCs, Atomic oxygen resistant coatings for low earth orbit space structures, High temperature ceramic adhesives, Joining of ceramics, Lightweight ceramics, Ultrahigh temperature ceramics (UHTCs), Chemical vapor infiltration (CVI) and chemical vapor deposition (CVD) process, Nanomaterials, Nanoceramics, Advanced energy systems, High temperature polymers, polymeric adhesives and coatings, block copolymers, anionic living polymerization, Interpenetrating polymeric network systems, Propellants, Recycling of plastics, Organic coatings and Ion-exchange resins
Has established the state-of-the-art laboratories, viz., Integrated Ceramic Matrix Products Facility (ICMPF) and High-Temperature Ceramic Materials Laboratory (HTML) in the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), ISRO, Thiruvananthapuram. for carrying out research work on polymer-derived ceramics and ceramic matrix composites. Completed more than 40 technology development/advanced research & development programs with a funding of about Rs. 20 crores and successfully developed advanced thermo-structural and thermal protection materials for space applications.
Was Chairman of the ISRO Level Committee for the Indigenization of metallic and non-metallic materials for the launch vehicle and satellite applications.
Has research expertise in the area of block copolymers, recycling of plastics, high-temperature polymers and adhesives. Has guided 8 Ph.D. students and 15 post-graduate students.
Of the 30 years of experience in ISRO, 15 years were in techno-managerial positions and finally occupied the position as Deputy Director-VSSC (Entity Chief). Has, 3 years of post-doctoral research experience in USA and Japan, and 2 years of industrial experience.
- ISRO Merit Award for the year 2014 for the contribution on Polymer-derived Ceramics, Ceramic coatings and Ceramic Matrix Composites for Space Applications.
- Acharya P. C. Ray Indian Chemical Council Award for the year 2014 for Indigenization of Chemicals and Materials for Space Applications (Team Award under the leadership of Dr. Packirisamy).
- Indian Chemical Council Award for the year 2014 for the Design of Chemical Plants for the production of Sodium chlorate and Hafnium sponge (Team Award under the leadership of Dr. Packirisamy).
- ISRO honored Dr. Packirisamy on the eve of his superannuation by organizing a Colloquium on Polymer Derived Ceramics for High Temperature Applications on Dec. 21, 2015 in recognition of his contributions to Space Research.
- Honored by the Space Engineers Association as one of the Team Leaders for the Successful ISRO Launches (Honored in the function presided by Governor of Kerala, Feb. 2015).
- Deputed by ISRO to participate and present research papers on polymer-derived ceramics in the International Symposium on High Temperature Ceramic Matrix Composites (HTCMC-7) held at Bayreuth, Germany in Sep. 2010.
- Chief Guest/Guest of Honor of National Conferences held at Shri. Pushpam College, Bharatidasan University, Thanjavur (2014) and Anna University, Chennai (2012).
- Best Paper awards for research papers on polymer-derived ceramics (6 Nos).
- Indian Paint Association Award (1984) for the Research work on Acrylic Thickeners for Water‑Borne Coatings.
- 10.Delivered 60 invited lectures in India and Abroad.
- 11.Reviewer of Research Papers for International Journals (J. Appl. Polym. Sci., J. Mater. Sci., Inter. J. Ceramics, Acta Astronautica and Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research).
- Has to his credit 9 Indian Patents and 5 Indian Patent Applications, 3 reviews in International Journals and 3 book chapters, 45 research publications in International journals and 79 papers presented in national and international symposia.
- Society of Polymer Science of India (SPSI)
- Society for Advancement of Materials
- India (ISAMPE), High Energy Materials Society of India (HEMSI)
- Society for Solid State Chemists and Allied Subjects.
It was a great time we spent in Sharda University. Sharda has very wonderful faculty and they are very cooperative and campus environment is very positive. Training and placement department continuousHarshdeep Batra, MBA
It gives me great pleasure to say with pride that I have completed my post-graduation from School of Business Studies, Sharda University. The relationship between faculties and student is very cordialDeeksha Gupta, MBA - Marketing & Finance
Taking admission into Sharda is like paying for an exclusive world tour. The university is comprised of different people from different nationalities which makes it a global community for diverse learIkechukwu M. Torti, MBA – International Business
Building my career in Sharda University enriched my life. I can somehow see that my future is totally reliant on the career for which I am grateful to every faculty member of Chemistry Department, SchKanjur Wangdi, Master of Science (Integrated), Chemistry
Studying architecture in Sharda has widened my perspective and has given me an idea of the importance of architecture in today’s day and age. The faculties and staff are very helpful and are alwShreeyukti Shah, Architecture
Architecture is a field with uniqueness and individuality, the passion for which comes within the individual. Being a part of this course in Sharda University is like know your own individuality. TheZainab Manzoor, Architecture
Hi.. ! I am Mohd. Faizan studying in school of architecture and planning is currently in 3rd year in sharda university. It has been a great experience. Here in sharda we have great faculty membeMohd. Faizan, Architecture
Sharda University is the best university across the india and is known for its excellence . It has all the best facilities under one roof - state of infrastructure , erudite faculty , professional teaYamini Sharma, Architecture
I can positively say Sharda University has made me a better person. It has helped me develop a positive attitude towards my studies and discover more about myself. Teachers are very caring and inMohammad Arish, Architecture
Hello! I I am student of Sharda University pursuing Architecture. I am currently in 3rd year. It has been a great experience overall here in Sharda. we have a panel of great faculty members who aAparna Chatterjee, Architecture