Dr. Rajesh Kumar
- Area Of Interest
- Skill Set
- Research & Publications
Dr. Rajesh Kumar, Ph.D. from Banaras Hindu University (BHU) is currently working as Professor and Head, Department of Environmental Science, School of Basic Sciences and Research (SBSR), Sharda University. In addition he is the 1st year coordinator of SBSR. He is also responsible as Academic Coordinator, Ph.D. programme of Sharda University.
He had been associated with National Physical Laboratory (NPL), New Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi and Birla Institute of Technology (Extension Centre), Jaipur before joining Sharda University in 2010.
He has vast experience of working on the influence of changing climate and the global warming on Snow and Glacier that impacts the availability of water resources in the Indian Himalaya. Prof. Kumar has published 71 papers out of which 50 are in International journals/book chapters/Encyclopaedia while 20 in National journal. He has 27 foreign visits in his credit for attending/presenting paper in conferences/Symposia or for the collaborative research. He has participated/presented paper in 81 National and International conference/symposia/workshops. He has also been involved in organising several National and International workshops/conferences.
Apart from teaching B.Sc., B. Tech. and M. Tech. students, he is involved in Environmental and Cryospheric research. Two scholars have been awarded PhD and 7 Ph.D. scholars are working under him. He has completed 03 research projects as PI and currently working on 03 research projects on Himalayan glaciers which are sponsored by SERB, Department of Science and Technology (DST); MOES Govt. of India and USAID, USA in collaboration with University of Colorado, USA. He spends very hard time to trek glacier sites up to the altitude of more than 17,500 ft. and stays for a couple of weeks in those region for the collection of valuable data. He works with several instruments like Automatic Weather Station (AWS), Steam driven Ice Drill System, discharge gauge and Global Positioning System (GPS) for understanding the impact of climate change on glaciers and associated impact to future water resources availability. He has conducted experiments in the challenging environmental conditions of Himalayan glaciers and successfully generated valuable data of glaciological importance at several glaciers like Gangotri, Chhota Shigri, Kafni, Naradu and Shaune Garang. The experiments/data with his scientific background has been converted into a tangible output and presented/published papers in many national and international conferences/journals and reports.
Prof. Kumar is member of several academic societies and editorial board of national and international journals. He is also managing editor of the Journal of Scientific and Technical Research (JSTR), published by Sharda University.
He has been interviewed by several electronic and print media including BBC, CNN-IBN, AajTak and Hindustan Times etc.
- 17 Years (Excluding PhD research period)
- Ph.D., M.Sc. (Tech.), DYSc.
- Environmental Sciences
- Cryospheric (Glaciology) Research (In-situ observations)
- Air pollution studies
- Application of Remote Sensing and GIS on cryospheric research
Working on Glaciers, Exposure of handling Environmental monitoring systems, GPS, Air pollution measuring instruments and water chemistry measurements. Trekking mountains, handling mountain gears and Glaciological instruments.
- 71 (50 in International journals/book chapter/Encyclopaedia; 20 in National journal)
- Sponsored by United States Agency for International Development (USAID), USA; (PI- Dr. Rajesh Kumar); Budget (US $ 112,100.00, Approx. ₹ 70 Lakhs)
- Sponsored by Ministry of Earth Science. (MoES), Govt. of India(PI- Dr. Rajesh Kumar); Budget (₹ 47,73,053.00)
- Sponsored by SERB, Dept. of Sc. & Technology (DST),Govt. of India’ (PI- Dr. Rajesh Kumar); Budget (₹ 50,55,000.00)
- Sponsored by Dept. of Sc. & Technology (DST), India (PI- Dr. Rajesh Kumar); Budget (₹ 19,61,800.00)
- South Asia Water Initiative (SAWI), ICIMOD, Kathmandu, Nepal. (PI- Dr. Rajesh Kumar); Budget (US $ 31,000.00, Approx. ₹ 17 Lakhs)
- Climate Reality Leadership Corps (February 22-24, 2015), The Climate Reality Project, 750 9th Street, NW, Suite 520, Washington, DC 20001
- Member International Glaciological Society (IGS) Membership Number: 00007607
- Life member of International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS), Wallingford, UK (Membership No. 7553)
- Life member of the Indian Meteorology Society (IMS), New Delhi, India (Membership No. LM 695)
- Life member of Association of Agro-meteorologist’s, Anand, India (Membership No. LM 70)
- Managing Editor, ‘Jr. ‘the Researcher’, published by Vyom Foundation, Varanasi for Year 2006 and 2007
- Managing Editor, Jr. of Scientific & Industrial Research, published by Sharda University, India since 2011
- Member of Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) for period 2010-2013 (Member ID- 10A111)
- Member editorial Board (since Aug., 2013), International Journal of Applied Environmental Science & Technology (ISSN 2321-8223), Published by National Printer and Publisher, Alakhnanda community Centre, New Delhi- 110019.
It was a great time we spent in Sharda University. Sharda has very wonderful faculty and they are very cooperative and campus environment is very positive. Training and placement department continuousHarshdeep Batra MBA (2014-2015)
It gives me great pleasure to say with pride that I have completed my post-graduation from School of Business Studies, Sharda University. The relationship between faculties and student is very cordialDeeksha Gupta MBA - Marketing & Finance (2014-15)
Taking admission into Sharda is like paying for an exclusive world tour. The university is comprised of different people from different nationalities which makes it a global community for diverse learIkechukwu M. Torti MBA – International Business (2014-15)
Building my career in Sharda University enriched my life. I can somehow see that my future is totally reliant on the career for which I am grateful to every faculty member of Chemistry Department, SchKanjur Wangdi Master of Science (Integrated), Chemistry
Studying architecture in Sharda has widened my perspective and has given me an idea of the importance of architecture in today’s day and age. The faculties and staff are very helpful and are alwShreeyukti Shah Architecture, 2014-15
Architecture is a field with uniqueness and individuality, the passion for which comes within the individual. Being a part of this course in Sharda University is like know your own individuality. TheZainab Manzoor Architecture, 2014-15
Hi.. ! I am Mohd. Faizan studying in school of architecture and planning is currently in 3rd year in sharda university. It has been a great experience. Here in sharda we have great faculty membeMohd. Faizan Architecture, 2014-15
Sharda University is the best university across the india and is known for its excellence . It has all the best facilities under one roof - state of infrastructure , erudite faculty , professional teaYamini Sharma Architecture, 2014-15
I can positively say Sharda University has made me a better person. It has helped me develop a positive attitude towards my studies and discover more about myself. Teachers are very caring and inMohammad Arish Architecture, 2014-15
Hello! I I am student of Sharda University pursuing Architecture. I am currently in 3rd year. It has been a great experience overall here in Sharda. we have a panel of great faculty members who aAparna Chatterjee Architecture, 2014-15