About the Programme
M.Sc. In Microbiology is a two-year postgraduate programme in microbiology segregated into four semesters. This discipline combines both biology and chemistry for the investigation of the living systems and aims to discover their relationship with the environment.
The curriculum covers the study of microorganisms and the effect that they have on human species. During the duration of this programme the students will get extensive insights into the various characteristics application and management of Microbes. Microbes such as bacteria viruses fungi algae play an essential role in bioremediation of toxic pollutants microbial waste management water treatment plants and for agriculture along with making other contributions in fields like food pharmaceuticals brewery and in other commercial processes like oil recovery and biogas production.
This programme includes core microbiology and interdisciplinary subjects together along with laboratory programs and a research project leading to a dissertation. A multidisciplinary approach is the core essence of the programme achieved through open electives.
- PEO1:      To create a foundation of various Microbiological concepts and phenomena in the minds of students through theoretical and practical knowledge.
- PEO2:      To keep students upgraded with new discoveries in Microbial world and inculcate continuous learning and self-improvement so that students are motivated for higher studies and research.
- PEO3:      To make the students to tackle detailed problem-solving and analytical tasks associated with pure and applied Microbiological questions, in areas that include evolution, ecology and conservation.
- PEO4:      Tomake students industry- or academia-ready by developing independent thinking, good communication and scientific skills and to acquaint them with professional ethics so that they can work well in an industrial or academic environment.
- PEO5:      To make students understand interdisciplinary nature of research in Microbiology. by assigning them different research projects/ case studies/ presentations.
- PO1: Knowledge:The student will have knowledge of the animals of the Earth and provide valuable insight for wise management of the planet’s resources.
- PO2: Skill Set Development:The student will be skilledin the observation and study of nature, biological techniques, experimental skills and scientific investigation.
- PO3: Oral Communication and Scientific Writing:The students will be able to demonstrate good oral communication. Students will also be knowledgeable about writing technical (project report, assignments and reviews) content.
- PO4: Environment and Sustainable Development:The student will be able to recognizing the essential roles of science and biology in the lives of citizens today and tomorrow and the valuable insight for wise management of the planet’s resources.
- PO5: Ethics, Independent Thinking and Team Work:The student will be able to focus on "real world" relationships and dependencies among the phenomena and processes will give character to any location or place.