About the Programme
M.Sc. Biotechnology is a two-year postgraduate programme initiated with an impetus to impart advanced knowledge on biology and chemistry along with the principles of design and engineering. Other than providing students with the indispensable knowledge the programme curriculum fosters problem-solving and critical thinking skills that prepare students to take on any challenges.
Under this programme the students gain insights on the key research areas of Advances in Plant Biotechnology and Fermentation Technology. The programme encompasses a balance of both theoretical and practical sessions which enables the students to apply their learning and develop end results.
The programme focuses on career-oriented subjects like Advanced Genetic Engineering Animal Cell Technology Bioinformatics Enzyme Technology Food Microbiology Medical Biotechnology and Cancer Biology.
Candidates seeking for a higher education in this field can enrol for Ph.D. programmes or fellowship. Since the Biotechnology field is developing at a fast pace employers of big pharma companies are looking for aspirants possessing excellent knowledge of the discipline.
- PEO1:      To create a strong foundation ofcore and advanced biotechnological concepts in the students through theoretical knowledge and experimental techniques.
- PEO2:      To lay emphasis on new discoveries and interdisciplinary nature of research in the field of biotechnology so that students are motivated to take up research in the form of higher studies or industrial projects.
- PEO3:      To enhance the practical knowledge of the students by teaching them latest biotechnological techniquesand to make them learn the use of these techniquesfor betterment of society and environment.
- PEO4:      Tomake students industry- or academia-ready by inculcatingprofessional ethics, independent thinking, good communication and scientific skills in the students.
- PEO5:      To strengthen the analytical skills and research aptitude of students through continuous learning and by assigning them presentation/ case studies and project work.
- PO1.Knowledge and Skill Set: Students will become proficient in understanding various biological systems and processes. The student will be skilled in latest interdisciplinary biological techniques that will beneficial for their future research/ employment.
- PO2.Research: Students will be able to independently think and identify a research problem, design experimental protocols to address that problem and analyse the results or solutions emanating out of his/ her work.
- PO3.Oral Communication and Scientific Writing: Students will develop sound oral communication skills.They will be able to make and deliver effective presentations. The students will be able to comprehend and write project reports/ reviews and / research articles through enhanced learning, reading and writing skills.
- PO4.Biotechnology, Environment and Society: Students will be able to understand the impact of biotechnology on the environment and society. Students will be capable of addressing different problems related to environmental pollution and species conservation. Students will be able to develop and use genetically engineered organisms for betterment of the environment and society after a thorough evaluation of their side-effects/ negative impacts.
- PO5.Ethics:The students will develop and understand the importance of professional ethics. Students will be able to understand the issue of plagiarism in researchand importance of copyrights. Students will also gain knowledge about various ethical issues associated with biotechnology.