About the Programme
MDS -Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry is a three-year post-graduate programme that deals with the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of all aspects of dental diseases related to deciduous and permanent teeth. The coursework of the programme sheds light on the entire oral health needs of a child from their birth to adolescence. It trains students' in assessing the patients' by examining vital signs and rectifying the issue in a comprehensive manner.
The programme includes subjects like Periodontology, Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics, Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthodontics and more. Aspirants under this programme, gain hands-on industry experience in Sharda's Parent Hospital. Final assessments are made based on their performances. Graduates of this programme will be able to contribute to evaluation, planning and implementation at different levels of the dental care system.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1: Be able to provide both primary and comprehensive, preventive and therapeutic oral health care including interceptive orthodontics for infants, children, and adolescents.
- PEO2:  Be able to instill a positive attitude and behavior in children towards oral health.
- PEO3:  Be able to guide and counsel the parents/guardian in regards to various treatment modalities including different facets of preventive dentistry
- PEO4:  Be able to manage and treat the physically and mentally challenged / disabled children effectively and efficiently, tailored to the needs of individual requirements and conditions.
- PEO5: Maintain high standard of professional ethics and conduct and apply these in all aspects of professional life.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Demonstrate an in- depth  art and science of pediatric dentistry.
- PO2: Provide preventive and therapeutic oral health care for infants and children through adolescence including those with special health care needs
- PO3: Employ pediatric dental procedures and behavioral management techniques in    Ambulatoryand hospital settings.
- PO4: Work collaboratively with clinicians, parents and other medical specialties advocating    for the health of the child patient.
- PO5: Execute a research project based on a thorough knowledge of literature, data collection    and analysis.
- PO6: Maintain high standard of professional ethics and conduct and apply these in all aspects of professional life.
- PSO1:  Adequate knowledge of scientific foundations on which pediatric dentistry is based      which includes growth and development, structure and function of the teeth, mouth and jaws and associated tissues both in health and disease.
- PSO2:  To prepare a student who is proficient in providing preventive and therapeutic oral health care for infants and children through adolescence including those with special health care needs in  instituition, private or public health settings.
- PSO3:Be able to instill a positive attitude and behaviour in children towards oral health and understand the principles of prevention and preventive dentistry right from birth to adolescence.
- PSO4:    Be able to guide and counsel the parents in regards to various treatment modalities.
- PSO5:  Acquire skill to prevent and manage complication if encountered and to carry out required investigative procedures and ability to interpret laboratory findings.