About the Programme
MDS - Ortho & Dentofacial Orthopedics is a three-year post-graduate programme meticulously structured to impart in-depth advanced knowledge of treating dentofacial deformities of the patients. The programme equips students with the understanding of various aspects and techniques of Orthodontics, such as the setting of teeth braces, moulding, invis-aligning of teeth, application and removal of retainers, etc. It also draws students' focus on diagnosis, prevention, and correction of malocclusion and other irregularities of the developing or mature orofacial structures.
In addition, the coursework of the programme helps students' to develop critical thinking and writing skills while making a significant contribution to the scientific literature. Furthermore, the programme endows aspirants with knowledge of healing methods that can be used to treat dental problems of the patients.
Students under this programme will be able to contribute to planning oral hygiene, implementation and evaluation at different levels of the oral care system.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1- Be able to diagnose orthodontic problems and understand patients’ needs in order to formulate optimum treatment plans.
- PEO2-- Be competent to manage different types of malocclusion with various treatment modalities maintaining high standards of professional ethics.
- PEO3- Be able to educate and motivate the patients in regard to various treatment modalities.
- PEO4-Be able to conduct research and contribute to the existing knowledge through scientific presentations and publications
- PEO5- Maintaining high standards of professional ethics and applying these in all aspects of professional practice.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Problem analysis & Communication: Apply the knowledge of various aspects of craniofacial complex and various treatment modalities to formulate the treatment plan using all required investigations for diagnostic and prognostic evaluation and communicating efficiently to the patient
- PO2:Life-long learning and Upgradation of Patient health care: Keep updated with the latest advances and upgrade the clinical care only after critical assessment based on sound scientific principles and also conduct research while applying ethical principles.
- PO3:Infection control and environmental safety: Apply the principles of infection control and environmental safety to patient care and clinical operations.
- PSO1: Obtain proper clinical history, conduct clinical examination of the patient perform essential diagnostic procedures, analyze and interpret them to arrive at a reasonable diagnosis about the dentofacial deformities.
- PSO2: Manage all types of orthodontic problems using different orthodontic appliances efficiently and also complex problems needing multidisciplinary approach as a member of the team while adopting ethical principles in orthodontic practice.
- PSO3: Knowledge of the interaction of social, cultural, economic, genetic and environmental factors and their relevance to management of oro – facial deformities.
- PSO4: Formulate individualized treatment plan and obtain a true informed consent from the patients for the most appropriate treatment available at that point of time after communicating various treatment options available based on the ethical principles.