About the Programme
MDS - Ortho & Dentofacial Orthopedic is a three-year post-graduate programme meticulously structured to impart in-depth advanced knowledge of treating dentofacial deformities of the patients. The programme equips students with the understanding of various aspects and techniques of Orthodontics, such as the setting of teeth braces, moulding, invis-aligning of teeth, application and removal of retainers, etc. It also draws students' focus on diagnosis, prevention, and correction of malocclusion and other irregularities of the developing or mature orofacial structures.
In addition, the coursework of the programme helps students' to develop critical thinking and writing skills while making a significant contribution to the scientific literature. Furthermore, the programme endows aspirants with knowledge of healing methods that can be used to treat dental problems of the patients.
Students under this programme will be able to contribute to planning oral hygiene, implementation and evaluation at different levels of the oral care system.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1- Be able to provide both primary and comprehensive, preventive & therapeutic oral healthcare including interceptive and corrective orthodontics.
- PEO2- Be able to educate patients about the problems due to malocclusions.
- PEO3- Be able to guide and counsel the patients in regards to various treatment modalities including effect of different malocclusion on patient’s general health.
- PEO4- Be able to manage and treat the developing malocclusion by various in-office and in-house techniques.
- PEO5- Maintaining higher standards of professional ethics & apply these in all aspects of professional practice.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1:  Provide patient-based clinical care to help residents gain proficiency in orthodontics and deliver high-quality care to patients with broad-based didactics and a strong basis for continued learning and clinical practice
- PO2:  Encourage service and socially responsible behavior
- PO3: Apply the principles of infection control andenvironmental safety to patient care and clinical operations
- PSO1:Skills to obtain proper clinical history, methodical examination of the patient, perform essential diagnostic procedures, and interpret them and arrive at a reasonable diagnosis about the Dentofacial deformities.
- PSO2:To be competent to fabricate and manage the most appropriate appliance
- PSO3: Knowledge of the interaction of social, cultural, economic, genetic and environmental factors and their relevance to management of oro – facial deformities.
- PSO4:Develop an attitude to adopt ethical principles in all aspects of Orthodontic Practice.