About the Programme
MDS - Oral Pathology & Microbiology is a three-year post-graduate programme that equips students with the advanced knowledge of histology and anatomy of oral & para oral structures. The programme offers insights into the classification of diseases affecting head and neck regions using laboratory techniques.
The curriculum of the programme includes other subjects like oral histology, dental anatomy, oral embryology and oral physiology. Students under this programme are prepared to perform routine histopathological evaluations of specimens and carry out other diagnostic procedures including microbiological, cytological, other research projects. The programme is structured in such a way that it enables not only academic and clinical proficiency, but also fosters the rational, intellectual, and social ability of the aspirants.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1: To train a post-graduate student to ensure higher competence in both general and    special pathology dealing with nature of oral diseases, their cause, processes and effects.
- PEO2: Routine and special technique used for histopathology including principle of histochemistry, immunochemistry related to oral pathology.
- PEO3: Concepts of oral premalignancy and management of oral oncology.
- PEO4: Oral microbiology and their relationship to various branches of dentistry.
- PEO5: Working knowledge on current databases, automated data retrieval systems, referring and skill in writing scientific papers.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1:     An oral pathologist is expected to perform routine histopathological evaluation of  specimens relating to oral and peri-oral tissues.
- PO2:     An oral pathologist should acquire skill to identify oral diseasethroughmicroscopicslides.
- PO3:     To carry out routine diagnostic procedures including hematological, cytological, microbiological, immunological and ultra-structural investigations.
- PO4:     Understanding of current research methodology, collection and interpretation of data.
- PO5:     Ability to carry out research projects on clinical and / or epidemiological aspects.
- PO6:     Skills in age estimation and identification during forensic investigation.
- PO7:     Professional honesty and integrity to be fostered.
- PSO1: Competency in diagnosis of oral precancer and cancerous lesions
- PSO2: Competent to carry out exfoliate cytology and its interpretation
- PSO3: Able to do mass screening of oral cancer patients
- PSO4: Competency to analyze and interpret routine blood investigations