About the Programme
MDS - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is a three-year post-graduate programme that deals with the study of human jaws and related oral & facial structures. The coursework of the programme combines medical, dental and surgical knowledge of the subject and trains students' to handle conditions related to jaws and facial regions of the patients.
The programme prepares aspirants' to contribute beneficially to patient care services with optimum efficiency and effectiveness. Students' under this programme, gain hands-on industry experience in Sharda's Parent Hospital. Final assessments are made based on their performances. Graduates of this programme will be able to contribute to evaluation, planning and implementation at different levels of the dental care system.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1: To train a post-graduate student to have adequate knowledge and understanding of the etiology, patho physiology and diagnosis, treatment planning of various common oral and Maxillofacial surgical problems both minor and major in nature.
- PEO2: To have understood the general surgical principles like pre and post surgical management, particularly evaluation, post surgical care, fluid and electrolyte management, blood transfusion and post surgical pain management.
- PEO3: Understanding of basic sciences relevant to practice or oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- PEO4: Able to identify social, cultural, economic, genetic and environmental factors and their relevance to disease process management in the oral and Maxillofacial region.
- PEO5: Essential knowledge of personal hygiene and infection control, prevention c cross infection and safe disposal of hospital waste keeping in view the high prevalence of hepatitis and HIV.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: To obtain proper clinical history, methodical examination of the patient, perform essential diagnostic procedures and order relevant laboratory tests and interpn them and to arrive at a reasonable diagnosis about the surgical condition.
- PO2: To perform with competence minor oral surgical procedures and common maxillofacial surgery. To treat both surgically and medically (or by other means of the oral and Maxillofacial and the related area).
- PO3: Capable of providing care for maxillofacial surgery patients.
- PO4: Develop attitude to adopt ethical principles in all aspect of surgical practice, professional honesty and integrity are to be fostered. Surgical care is to be delivered irrespective of the social status, caste, creed or religion of the patient.
- PO5: To share the knowledge and clinical experience with professional colleagues
- PO6: To adopt new and techniques of surgical management developed from time to time based on scientific research which are in the best interest of the patient
- PO7: Professional honesty and integrity to be fostered.
- PSO1:  acquired adequate knowledge and understanding of the etiology, patho physiology and diagnosis, treatment planning of various common oral and Maxillofacial surgical problems both minor and major in nature.
- PSO2:  to identify social, cultural, economic, genetic and environmental factors and their relevance to disease process management in the oral and Maxillofacial region.
- PSO3: Able to do mass screening of oral cancer patients
- PSO4: Competency to analyze and interpret routine blood investigations