About the Programme
MDS - Conservative Dentistry & Endo is a three-year post-graduate programme streamlined to provide students with the understanding of basic sciences as relevant to restorative/conservative dentistry and endodontics. It trains students in examining the patient and perform medical diagnostic procedures to identify their dental condition. Since the programme involves learning of surgical treatments, the students are trained for preoperative as well as post-operative care of the patient along with the diagnosis.
The curriculum of the programme also focuses on subjects like Applied Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology and dental materials. Moving along, aspirants under this programme gain hands-on industry experience in Sharda's Parent Hospital. The balanced coursework of the programme helps students' find ample time to practice their learnings and be industry-ready.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1  Describe aeitology, pathophysiology, periapical diagnosis and management of common restorative situations, endodontic situations that will include contemporary management of dental caries, management of trauma and pulpal pathoses
- PEO2  Demonstrate understanding of basic sciences as relevant to conservative / restorative dentistry and Endodontics
- PEO3  Identify social, economic, environmental and emotional determinants in a given case or community and take them into account for planning and execution at individual and community level
- PEO4  Master differential diagnosis and recognize conditions that may require multi disciplinary approach or a clinical situation outside the realm of the specialty, which he or she should be able to recognize and refer to appropriate specialist
- PEO5  Update himself by self-study and by attended basic and advanced courses, conferences, seminars, and workshops in the specialty of Conservative Dentistry- Endodontics-Dental Materials and Restorative Dentistry
- PEO6  Perform all levels of restorative work and surgical and non-surgical Endodontics, as well as endodontic-periodontal surgical procedures as part of multidisciplinary approach to clinical condition
- PEO7  Provide basic life saving support in emergency situations
- PEO8  Manage acute pulpal and pulpo-periodontal situations
- PEO9  Be professionally honest and exhibit integrity and professional ethics and Respect patient's rights and privileges including patient’s right to information.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1    Knowledge: Possess a thorough knowledge and comprehension of diagnosis and clinical management of the oral diseases, in addition to, the infection control measures in the dental clinical environment and laboratories
- PO2        Patient management: Take proper chair side history, examine the patient and perform medical and dental diagnostic procedures and order as well as perform relevant tests and interpret to them to come to a reasonable diagnosis about the dental condition in general and Conservative Dentistry - Endodontics in particular. And undertake complete patient monitoring including preoperative as well as post operative care of the patient
- PO3        Patient treatment: Carry out appropriate and effective dental care treatment, including restorative, aesthetics and endodontics, once the diagnosis and treatment plan has been outline.
- PO4        Communication skills: Develop communication skills- in particular to explain various options available management and to obtain a true informed consent from the patient. She shall not carry out any heroic procedures and must know his limitations in performing all aspects of restorative dentistry including Endodontics. Ask for help from colleagues or seniors when required without hesitation
- PO5        Life-long Learning: Teach and/or guide, colleagues and other students. Use information technology tools and carry out research both basic and clinical with the aim of publishing his/her work and presenting the same at scientific platform on a regular basis
- PO6    Ethics: Adopt ethical principles in all aspects of restorative and contemporary Endodontics, including non-surgical and surgical Endodontics. Apply high moral and ethical standards while carrying on human or animal research.
- PSO1  Train student to be sound and efficient about the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of sequelae of dental caries and the other dental defects.
- PSO2  Make the student to carry out proficiently the techniques and procedures to restore the teeth to full function and appearance in an aesthetically pleasing manner with as little loss of the healthy tooth structure as possible
- PSO3  To encourage and promote innovative research and publication and to promote collaboration with various institutions and disciplines