About the Programme
Political Science seeks to understand the practice of politics and the exercise of power from domestic, international, and comparative perspectives. We address some of the fundamental problems facing human society: war and peace, authoritarianism and democracy, economic development and inequality, and environment degradation. We do so by examining political ideas, ideologies, institutions, policies, processes, and behaviour, as well as groups, socio-economic classes, governments, diplomacy, law and strategy.
The coursework covers the entire spectrum of six sub-disciplines of Political Science including Political Theory, Indian Political Thought, International Relations, Comparative Politics, Indian Politics and Public Administration.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1: To understand concepts and principles of different disciplines of humanities, social sciences and languages and their inter-relation.
- PEO2: To demonstrate a detailed understanding of the selected core discipline of study.
- PEO3: To apply an independent approach to address various issues related to the core area of specialization by using appropriate theories and methodologies.
- PEO4: To work as independent critically discerning and creative participant in the workplace, community and personal life.
Program Outcomes of the MA Political Science:
- PO1: Political Literacy: Understanding of the political concepts institutions, processes, constitutional background and policy outcomes of Indian Government and the ability to compare Indian Government to that of other countries around the world.
- PO2: Global Understanding: Understand and analyze key theories and concepts, historical developments, organizations and modern issues in international relations.
- PO3: Applications of Political Science: Learn to analyze and apply basic political science concepts to current events.
- PO4: Critical and Independent Thinking: Promote critical thinking including the ability to form an argument, detect fallacies, and martial evidence, about key issues of public policy and politics.
- PO5: Holistic Learning and Evaluation: Appraise the interrelationship among the historical, political, economic, cultural and geographical dimensions in political science.
- PO6 : Utility of Political Theories: Explore advanced theories of politics and appraise their importance. Apply that knowledge to the practical tasks.
- PO7 : Political and Social Ethics: Become productive citizens dedicated to serving their communities, their nations and the world.
Program Specific Outcomes of the MA Political Science:
- PSO1: To engage students in the study of the national and global political system and its linkage with economic and social life.
- PSO2: To equip students with an understanding of politically sensitive issues and the development of generalized problem-solving skills.
- PSO3: To enable students to use analytical and specialized research skills in the field of Political Science.
- PSO4: To prepare students for careers in Central, State, Local Governments for taking leadership / administrative positions and to make a valuable contribution to the nation. Besides, they can also join law, NGO, electoral analytics, political journalism, research and