About the Programme
M.Tech. in Civil Engineering with specialisation in Geotechnical and Earthquake  Engineering is a two-year postgraduate programme that involves the study of the performance of various kinds of soil under the influence of loading forces and soil-water interactions. This programme trains students to assess the risks from natural hazards such as wind earthquakes landslides etc. and helps them analyse, plan, construct foundations and support structures in such a way that ensure minimum collateral damage in critical situations.
The curriculum for this programme equips students to understand and implement the principles of soil mechanics and rock mechanics for investigation and study of subsurface materials & conditions. Post completion of this programme, students will be able to identify, generate and interpret data, apply numerical methods for modelling, and analyse problems, evaluate the quality of data through testing and measurement equipment and test critical hypotheses using logical and consistent quantitative or qualitative arguments.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- Graduates will be able to develop into proficient resources in the advanced aspects of engineering & technology with analytical and quantitative reasoning and design abilities.
- Graduates will be capable of applying the skills to formulate, analyse and solve the societal problems of sustainable development related to their specialization along with maintaining the professional integrity and ethics.
- Graduates will be able to grow personally and professionally in the careers through continued development of analytical, technical and managerial skills.
- Graduates will excel as entrepreneurs through continuous enhancement of communication skills, professional networking and life-long learning.
- Graduates will be prepared to assume higher roles and responsibilities at national and international level to imprint their presence for the larger good of the society.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using advanced understanding of mathematics and engineering.
- Design/development/execution of solutions: Design sustainable solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public safety, and the cultural, societal, legal and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work effectively, as a member and leader in a multidisciplinary and/or diverse team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- Leadership in research and practice: Use a combination of technical, managerial and soft skills to play the leadership role in research and practice.
- Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the appropriate knowledge to asses societal, safety, legal issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to engineering practice.
- Design, develop, construct and manage new civil engineering infrastructure.
- Analyze Evaluate, and Execute sustainable solutions to the structural problems faced by the society.
- Cognizance of social awareness, environmental necessity, modern management and construction techniques to have a successful career in their respective specializations.