About the Programme
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology is a three-year undergraduate programme that aims to understand how social structures, human relations and the behaviour of individuals influence civilizations and their cultures. The programme introduces students to a sociological perspective a certain way of looking at the world, its societies and the changes that take place.
During the course of the programme, the students engage in analytical discussion and studies of various social groups. Along with regular classes, guest lectures and field trips, study abroad experiences and internships impart a worldwide view to the learners.
The core subjects taught in the programme are Applied Sociology, Comparative Sociology, Cultural Sociology, Collective Behavior, Crime and Delinquency, Community and Demography. The programme aims to provide a systematic introduction to sociology and its basic concepts. The students are exposed to divergent perspectives in sociology to make sure that they acquire the necessary skills to understand a context s various social phenomena.
Programme Educational Objectives(PEO)
- PEO1: The graduate will have understanding of concepts and principles of different disciplines of humanities, social sciences and languages and their inter-relation.
- PEO2: The graduate will have a detailed understanding of the selected core discipline of study.
- PEO3: The graduate will be apply an independent approach to address various issues related to the corearea of specialization by using appropriate theories and methodologies.
- PEO4: The graduate will have developed personal and professional skills for application inworkplace, community and personal life.
Program Outcomes of the BA Sociology program are:
- PO1: Content Knowledge: Understand the key concepts, constructs and statistical techniques ofcore sociological concepts.
- PO2: Understanding of Theory: Identify theories and concepts from classical and contemporary sociological theories.
- PO3: Communication Skills: Demonstrate the ability to communicate sociological knowledge to others.
- PO4: Research skills: Develop an ability to use social scientific research methods to address sociological questions.
- PO5: Analytical Skills: Possess analytical skills in areas such as policy analysis, administration/ management, communication, quantitative analysis and problem-solving.
- PO6: Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings
- PO7: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and norms of Sociology
- PO8: Life-Long Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO’s)
Program Specific Outcomes of the BA Sociology program are:
- PSO1: Ability to investigate and understand social behaviour of people within groups, organizations and societies
- PSO2: Learning application of theory and research to social problems.
- PSO3: Develop student‘s competency in skills of Sociological analysis and critical thinking