About the Programme
M. Sc Medical Physiology is a three-year post-graduate programme focused on equipping students with an in-depth knowledge of human anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. The programme exposes students to studies involving many organism functions. This not only stimulates thoughts regarding therapeutic and health-promoting opportunities but also encourages thoughts to experiment with modification of one function to bring changes in other functions.
The objective of the programme is to help students master the core information in cell biology, molecular biology, and statistics. The programme is structured in such a way that it enables not only academic and clinical proficiency, but also fosters the rational, intellectual, and social ability of the aspirants.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
A post graduate student having qualified the MSc(Medical Physiology) examination should be able to:
- PEO1. demonstrate comprehensive understanding of physiology as well as that of the applied disciplines.
- PEO2. demonstrate adequate knowledge of the current developments in medical sciences as related to physiology .
- PEO3. teach undergraduates and postgraduates in physiology
- PEO4. plan and conduct research Interpret and evaluate research publications critically.
- PEO5 plan educational programs in physiology utilizing modern methods of teaching and evaluation
- PEO6.organize and equip physiology laboratories.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- Cognitive Domain
A post graduate student having qualified the MSc (Physiology) examination should be able to
- PO1. demonstrate comprehensive understanding of the structure, function and development of the human body as related to physiology.
- PO2. demonstrate elementary understanding of the clinical applications of physiology.
- PO3. critically evaluate the impact of the recent information on the genesis of current concepts related to various topics of physiology
- PO4. recapitulate the information imparted to the undergraduate students in physiology
- PO5. identify a research problem which could be basic, fundamental or applied in nature define the objectives of the problem and give a fair assessment as to what is expected to be achieved at the completion of the project interpret the observations in the light of existing knowledge and highlight in what way his observations have advanced scientific knowledge write a scientific paper on the lines accepted by standard scientific journals.
- PO6. demonstrate familiarity with the principles of medical education including definitions of objectives, curriculum construction, merits and merits of various tools used in the teaching-learning process use of learning aids and learning settings, and methods of evaluation.
B Affective domain
A post graduate student having qualified the MSc (Medical Physiology) examination should be able to
- PO7. Demonstrate self-awareness and personal development in routine conduct. (Self-awareness)
- PO8. Communicate effectively with peers, students and teachers in various teaching-learning activities. (Communication)
- PO9. Demonstrate
- Due respect in handling human subjects (Ethics & Professionalism)
- Humane touch while demonstrating living surface marking in subject/patient (Ethics & Professionalism)
- PO10. Acquire capacity of not letting his/her personal beliefs, prejudices and limitations come in the way of duty.
- PO11. Appreciate the issues of equity and social accountability while exposing students to early clinical exposure (Equity and social accountability)
C. Psychomotor Domain The student should acquire competencies in the following tasks:
- PO12. perform and critically evaluate the practical exercises done by undergraduate students
- PO13. design, fabricate and use indigenous gadgets for experimental purposes
- PO14. share learning experiences with the undergraduate and postgraduate students using appropriate pedagogical skills and methods
- PO15. draw out meaningful curricula for teaching medical and paramedical courses give lucid, interactive lectures, presenting the information in a logical, simple and comprehensive manner generate interest and curiosity amongst the students during lectures give practical demonstrations
- PO16. organize the laboratories for various practical exercises, substitute and fabricate some of the simpler equipment for teaching purposes.
- PO17. handle and order for stores, draw up lists of equipment required to equip physiology laboratories.
- PO18. design and carry out technical procedures required for a research study record accurately and systematically the observations and analyze them objectively effectively use statistical methods for analyzing the data.