About the Programme
Master of Arts in English is a two-year postgraduate programme that deals with the study of Literature and Language in English across the world. It equips the students with analytical and critical thinking skills to produce original insights in scholarly academic writing and discourse.   The programme would foster fundamental literary concepts tendencies and trends across periods genre and cultures in English literature literary theory and approaches composition and rhetoric. The subject matter would include topics like Contemporary Poetry Contemporary Drama & Fiction Indian Poetry and Drama Indian English Fiction American Poetry and Drama Literary Theories.
Research is an important aspect of the programme that helps students develop their understanding and further their learning. Students learn to consider sources of information and evaluate the nuances of meaning and authenticity of the language and its impact. Topics of study often include in-depth analysis of the origins and etymology of the language as well as its global impact.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO1. To provide comprehensive understanding and knowledge of canon of English Literary Studies to facilitate progressive careers in translation, publishing, teaching, research, print/electronic media and pursuit of higher studies.
- PEO2. To equip students with critical and analytical thinking skills to produce original insights in scholarly academic writing and discourse.
- PEO3. To enable students to produce compelling explanatory, rhetorical and communication ability to fulfill professional responsibilities.
- PEO4. To expose students to contemporary social, cultural and literary issues to enable ethical and responsible behaviour towards co-workers, society and nation.
- PEO5. To foster interest in lifelong learning and research as well as in cultivation of intellectual, flexibility, creativity and cultural literacy.
Program Outcomes (PO’s) of M.A(English)
- PO1 Select appropriate primary texts, secondary texts, a research query, techniques and resources to undertake research activities and write papers and thesis.
- PO2 Apply knowledge of literary tendencies across literary periods, genres and theoretical/critical approaches in interpretation of literary text.
- PO3 Review and analyze text with respect to representation of socio-historical context and literary discourse and identify gaps to be addressed through research.
- PO4 To make effective presentations give, receive and implement clear instructions, reports and documentation for professional purposes.
- PO5 Produce original creative work that demonstrates imagination as well as application of the principles of humanities.
- PO6 Exhibit a holistic attitude, foster critical thinking and intellectual growth in independent study and life-long learning.
- PO7 To apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to formulate creative and practical solutions for social, cultural and literary issues concerning community and society at large
PROGRAM-SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSO’S)
- PSO1: Students are proficient in fundamental literary concepts, tendencies, and trends across periods, genre and cultures in English literature, literary theory and approaches.
- PSO2: Students possess the ability to identify and explore the emerging areas of research and conduct the same with proper methodology and documentation.
- PSO3: To equip students with interdisciplinary skills such as assessment skills, leadership, problem solving skills, critical thinking skills etc.
- PSO4: To make the students professionally competent professionally by integrating interdisciplinary knowledge and social values to address social concerns.