About the Programme
The Bachelor of Optometry is a four-year undergraduate programme designed to make a student ready for ocular management. Through different courses in the programme the students are trained for diagnosis and management of ocular diseases management and precise recommendation of spectacles and contact lenses and the ability to provide personalised care to people with special needs.
The core of the programme encompasses the study of life sciences vision and optometric sciences anatomy and physiology of vision mechanisms of disease and optics and visual science. The students after graduating become adept professionals through hands-on training and regular field visits upskilling them in optometric practice and aspects of clinical optometry contact lenses paediatric optometry and binocular vision eye diseases and treatments.
They will learn to participate in industrial safety programmes work with road safety organisations. They may pursue their individual practice independently or serve in government or privately managed firms to contribute to the welfare of the society.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO) of B.Optometry
- PEO1: Apply the knowledge in basic allied and health sciences, general and ocular medical sciences, visual sciences, clinical sciences, as well as an understanding of the health care delivery system.
- PEO2: Provide quality eye and vision care through comprehensive and appropriate examination, measurement, assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and management of eye and vision conditions
- PEO3: Demonstrate competence in the prevention, detection, diagnosis, and management of visual conditions and processes caused by systemic disease
- PEO4: Exhibit standard personal, professional, and ethical values fitting of a health care provider
- PEO5: Direct and exhibit research and clinical studies which will contribute to the advancement of optometry and improve the quality of life
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Apply the knowledge of general and ocular medical sciences, visual sciences, clinical sciences, as well as an understanding of health care delivery system.
- PO2: Find, analyze, evaluate and apply the information systematically and shall make a appropriate diagnosis to provide quality eye and vision care.
- PO3: Demonstrate effective planning abilities including the prevention, detection, diagnosis, and management of visual conditions.
- PO4: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the optometry practice.
- PO5: Conduct and present research and clinical studies which will contribute to the advancement of optometry and health sciences.