About the Programme
B.Sc. in Chemistry is a three-year undergraduate programme designed for students to acquire theoretical knowledge and practical skills in different disciplines of chemistry. The programme consists of core theory along with laboratory programme as well as ability enhancement elective (AEEC) and compulsory (AECC) courses such as Computer Science and Functional English respectively. The programme comprises six semesters with 143 Credits.
The curriculum includes Core Courses(CC) as well as Discipline Specific Elective (DSE) and Generic Elective (GE) programmes and laboratory practicals. The programme also includes two courses offered by Physics and Mathematics Department. B. Sc Chemistry
Programme also includes Discipline Specific programme (DSE) and offers research project on an individual basis.
The programme provides guidance from leading professors to conduct extensive laboratory research projects and explore the chemical phenomena properties and reactivity. B.Sc. General degree is designed to provide a broad view of the discipline and can be followed with expertise in a special field.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO 1:  Providing distinctive and relevant education in chemistry to students.
- PEO 2: Motivating young minds to acquire theoretical knowledge and practical skills in different disciplines of chemistry and empowering them with problem solving skills through innovative teaching methods.
- PEO 3: Encouraging interdisciplinary research in collaboration with National/ International laboratories.
- PEO 4: Promoting scholarly research work and innovation among students.
- PEO5: Providing ethical understanding of safe handling of chemicals and various issues related with chemical compounds.
- PEO6: Promoting chemistry as an integral aspect for addressing social economic and environmental issues.
- PEO7: Providing education to bridge the research gap between various search tools.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Ability to gain the knowledge of chemical principles with a thorough understanding in chemistry and its sub-discipline such as bio-organic, bio-inorganic, medicinal, analytical, organic, inorganic and physical.
- PO2: Capacity to identify and design the problems and formulate the strategy to find the solution by applying analytical and rational thinking.
- PO3: Capability to combine the knowledge in Chemistry with mathematics, physics and biology to solve problems of interdisciplinary nature.
- PO4: Students will be skilled in problem solving, critical thinking and analytical reasoning as applied to scientific problems.
- PO5: Students will appreciate the central role of chemistry in our society and use this as a basis for ethical behaviour in issues facing chemists including an understanding of safe handling of chemicals, environmental issues and key issues facing our society in energy, health and medicine.
- PO6: Students will be able to explain why chemistry is an integral activity for addressing social, economic, and environmental problems.
- PO7: Competency in using modern library search tools to locate and retrieve scientific information.