About the Programme
M.Sc. Environmental Science is a two-year postgraduate programme divided into 4 semesters. The program aims to address the growing need for competent professionals in society for applying most effective management practices drawn from various disciplines to create innovative solutions for a sustainable future. This program aims to develop a holistic approach to environmental and resource-based problems in students from diverse academic, cultural, and professional backgrounds. The program has a transdisciplinary approach that integrates the science of environmental studies with technical and social issues and includes courses on ecosystem studies, biodiversity conservation, natural resource management,   environmental legislation, economics, pollution control and management, biodiversity conservation, toxicology, water and waste water engineering, environmental lab techniques, sustainable development, urban sustainability and environment and health.
It trains the candidate in advanced laboratory skills required for pollution monitoring and abatement, to undertake environmental impact assessment (EIA), ecodevelopment, Eco restoration, implement green technology, assess biodiversity, wastewater recycling, solid waste management etc by utilizing their scientific and technical skills. The program addresses environment management from the technical, social as well as the policy aspect to counter the effects of degradation of the ecosystem.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO 1:   To prepare students for advanced studies in water resources its management and conservation
- PEO2:   To help students to understand the concept and various advance techniques employed for wastewater treatment, reuse and recovery.
- PEO 3: To expose the students to the practical aspects of physicochemical parameters of water by means of qualitative, quantitative and advance instrumentation techniques.
- PEO 4: To develop the ability to communicate scientific and technical information in written and oral formats.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Gained knowledge, abilities and conceptual insight into various environmental processes, environmental toxicology and pollution issues its control measures and various environmental related policies and law.
- PO2: Competency to work effectively and safely in a laboratory environment.
- PO3: Developed communication skills, both written and oral, for specific audiences specialized in the area of hydrology, toxicology solid waste and wastewater treatment.
- PO4: Acquired the skills of planning and frame strategies to deal with various types of pollution problem in general and   treatment and detoxification of wastewater specifically.
- PSO1: Global level research opportunities to pursue Ph.D. programme in the related or allied area.
- PSO2: Become proficient in various advance waste water treatment techniques, toxicological studies, develop skill in drafting EIA report, and capable to understand and make use of GIS and remote sensing technology in various environmental related applications.
- PSO3: Qualitative and quantitative assessment of water and air quality through various instrumentation techniques.
- PSO4: The broad education necessary to understand and critically analyzing various pollution related problems in a global and societal context.