B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science (CS) is a programme that equips the candidates with the basic knowledge and understanding of the concepts of computer science, information technology and its related branches. The course work if pursued at a higher degree, offers an advanced level of the study of concepts and software training tools which enhances the scope in B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science. The B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science programme prepares the candidates to seek knowledge in the field of technology.
Overview of B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science is a three-year full-time undergraduate programme. The program is divided into six semesters. Each semester lasts for a period of 6 months and the course admission requires the minimum eligibility of a Higher Secondary Certificate (10+2) with an aggregate score of 45%. The programme offers a nuanced study of the theory and practical experimentation. It also ensures that the candidate is well-versed in engineering which forms the basis for the design and use of computers.
The course lays astute importance in building a candidate’s fundamentals in the field of Computer Science. By the end of the coursework, the students are well-versed in programming, algorithms, and Mathematics. The course includes components of study such as:
- Artificial intelligence
- Computational mathematics
- Computer languages and tools such as Java, C++, Android, SQL, Python, MATLAB and assembler
- Database development
- Functioning of computing operating systems.
- Minor course modules in subjects of Humanities
- Mobile computing
- Object-oriented programming
- Programming techniques
- Specialist hardware such as Arduino microcontrollers
Sharda University offers this course for the aspiring candidates. In order to seek admissions, the eligible candidates should meet the eligibility criteria. The programme is structured and intends to build up a foundation for higher academic programmes in Computer Science.
Scope of B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science
The scope of B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science is quite broader. The field of science and technology are evergrowing and the scopes it has to offer is based upon the principles of research and development. The graduates have umpteen opportunities when it comes to pursuing a degree such as Computer Science. They may go for research in the field or pursue it in more monetarily lucrative sectors. There is a wide range of employment opportunities available for graduates B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science, such as in:
- Computer hardware system companies
- Computer networking companies
- Design and development companies
- Government as well as Private IT, engineering and academic institutes
- Multi-national companies
- Software development companies
Here is a detailed list of jobs after B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science that is open to the graduates, with the corresponding role of the job under respective positions.
- Computer Programmer- The role of a computer programmer is to write codes in order to create software programmes in a range of computer languages, such as C++ and Java. The programmers are also responsible for debugging the programmes or making the programme run without error and produce expected results.
- Computer Scientist- A Computer Scientist conducts research to develop new computer technologies. He/she is in charge to solve problems across various disciplines. This includes developing new technologies, systems and computer-based solutions. This is a research-oriented profession which is based on designing new computer technology. The ongoing research in the field of artificial intelligence, robotics or virtual reality is opening a number of opportunities for computer scientists.
- Computer Systems Analyst- An analyst’s job is to study an organisation’s current computer systems and procedures, and design information systems solutions. Their role is to help the organisation operate better. They use a variety of techniques which incorporate designing computer systems such as data-modelling, which are quite significant for the company’s functionality.
- Hardware Engineer- The role of computer hardware engineers is to design, test and update computer hardware and modify the hardware components for computers. Their role is also to evaluate the existing computer systems and use complex problem-solving skills to improve models. They also update systems by improving the components, layout and design of a computer for increased efficiency.
- Lecturer/Professor- Candidates who pursue a degree in the field of computer science can attain higher degrees and later be recruited as lecturers/professors. They teach undergraduate and graduate level students in areas related to Computer Science and its applications.
- Systems Integrator- These professionals are highly skilled in terms of designing, building, synthesizing and implementing all the technological applications. They tend to customize the applications in order to meet an organization’s needs. They are hired to work along with IT professionals in the IT department.
Pursuing a B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science has a lot of advantages as not only it provides professional growth but it is also a research-oriented field. People who look forward to making a difference in society with the help of science and technology tend to work passionately in this stream. Professionals tend to make the world a better place by constantly choosing a better way to lead life. If one wishes that kind of fulfilment, B.Sc. (Hons.) in Computer Science gives contentment and professional support.