With the rising number of COVID-19 cases in India, the government of India implemented a lockdown across the nation to contain the disease. COVID-19 is a virus that spreads from one infected person to another, so this step was taken to prevent community transmission of this deadly virus and break the chain of transmission.
The government has issued advisories to all the citizens to practise social distancing and stay at home. Because all educational institutions have been shut down due to the lockdown, students are now left with lots of free time on their hands.But this doesn’t mean you sit at home and let the time pass by. There are numerous ways a student can utilize this time productively and gain something out of it.
Here are 10 awesome idea to help you –
- Nurture a plant at home:-You can try your hand at nurturing plants to pass time. For starters, growing plants can give you an opportunity to nurture life and teach you important life skills like patience. There are many types of plants to choose from – the most common ones are tulsi, aloe vera and neem. All of these plants have health benefits so they can also come in handy at times. If you are planning to grow plants on your terrace, then opt for smaller potted plants like aloe vera and tulsi. If you have garden space, then you can opt for bigger plants like neem. You can also grow vegetables at home and ensure a supply of organic vegetables for your kitchen.
- Paint your dreams:-Gather all your paintbrushes lying unused since childhood. If the painting wasn’t your thing in childhood and you don’t have paintbrushes, then you can also use plastic spoons, visiting cards or your hands. There are many websites that suggest painting ideas for the day. You can set aside an hour every day and experiment with these ideas. Painting can be a therapeutic activity as it calms your mind when you focus on painting.
- Practise yoga:-Have you always wanted to be more flexible? This is the perfect time to get started. Yoga is a form of exercise that includes slow movements and stretching to enhance your strength, stamina and flexibility. The best part is you only need a yoga mat and can do it anywhere as it requires no special equipment. Practising yoga also calms the mind. To get the maximum benefits from yoga, it is important to pay attention to your diet. Include plenty of vegetables, fruits and nuts in your daily diet and reduce the consumption of processed foods.
- Enrol into online courses:- You don’t always have to be physically present in an educational institution to learn something. Thanks to the internet, you can now also take up courses from the comfort of your home. Many institutions in India and abroad provide courses, tutorials and videos for a wide range of subjects online. You can use this time to take up online courses and enhance your existing knowledge.
- Build on your family relationships:-If you are one of those students who stay away from home due to studies, and if you are back home now, then this is your chance to strengthen your relationships back home. One way to do that is by bonding through activities – such as reading books to your grandparents or helping your parents in their chores like shopping, cooking, gardening or cleaning.
- Read a book:-A good book can transform you so don’t wait! There are many good books you can find online. If you can’t decide which book to buy then you can consider these all-time classics –
- The Harry Potter series
- Ruskin Bond collection
- Amar Chitra Katha
- Learn a new language:- This is a skill that you can add to your CV as well. It can even open up new avenues in your career later on. Remember that while learning a new language has multiple benefits and is a fun experience, it needs focus and dedication. There are many websites and apps that offer language courses. Some of them even offer a certificate after you complete the course. Don’t forget to go through the reviews before selecting a website or an app.
- Play board games:- Did you love playing Ludo when you were a kid? Take the Ludo board out and start a game with your family members. If there are few members in your family, then you can opt for games like chess. These board games are not only fun and engaging, but they also offer an opportunity to sharpen your cognitive skills.
- Create a collage:- If you have countless photographs on your smartphone, then this is a good activity for you. All you need is a printer and some printing paper. All you have to do is print out your favourite photographs on a paper and then cut them out. Take any cardboard box like an old shoebox or a garment box to prepare your cardboard base. Once the base is ready, paste the photographs on it and voila! Your collage is ready. You can add glitter or make doodles on the collage if you are in the mood for some fun.
- Perfect time to clean your closet:- Was lack of time holding you back from cleaning your closet? Well, you no longer have that excuse, so get started. Take everything out of your closet and then clean the closet thoroughly. After that, you have to create two piles – one for things you need and the other for things that you no longer need. Arrange the things you need neatly and place them in your closet. You can give away the things you no longer need like old clothes or books to charity. Use your time during the lockdown wisely because time once gone can never be regained.