Convocation day is one of the most critical milestones of your life. It is the time to put on your black gown and collect the hard-earned degree. Soon you’ll be walking across the stage to receive your degree for which you have worked for years.
And as Sharda University inches towards the day when hundreds of students will cherish THE moment of their lifetime, Shri Saurabh Srivastava, Padma Shri and Former Chairman NASSCOM will shower his blessings as the revered Chief Guest. The sight will be mesmerising as the alumni, their parents or guardians, and the teachers come together to celebrate their moments of success and glory.
Here are some tips that will maximise your experience and prepare you to make the most of your special day.
- Be on Time: One day that you don’t want to arrive late is the convocation day. You need to show up at least 45 minutes before the commencement of the ceremony so that you have ample amount of time to collect your cap and gown and are seated next to your classmates. Kindly ensure that you are not late for your party.
- Make sure you know the itinerary for the day: Make sure that you collect the itinerary for the day when you reach the venue so that you are well-informed about the ceremony commencement which will help you to plan your day accordingly. The itinerary will also guide you to be at the exact place that you are required to be at that particular time. Contact the dedicated team for any queries regarding the same.
- Complete the Registration Process: The registration process undertaken on the day of the ceremony is the final and official check that you are in order and have all the essentials required during the ceremony to receive your degree or diploma. The registration process is also undertaken to confirm that you are in attendance. So before doing any other activity, make sure that you have completed the registration process and your name is registered so that there is no mix up during the ceremony.
- Dress to Impress: You will want to dress up for the occasion, but you must also ensure that you are comfortable. The last thing you would want is to feel exhausted on your special day. Since there will be senior dignitaries present during the ceremony, it is suggested to wear formals and be comfortable. We would suggest that you leave the stilettos for the after-party and perhaps wearing light-weight fabrics. You don’t want to leave the ceremony with blisters on feet.
- Remember to Stay Hydrated: It’s so important to ensure that you are well-fed and hydrated before the ceremony. It is easy to forget amid graduation ceremony. The key is to drink water and have food a couple of hours before the ceremony, but you should stay hydrated at all times. Tip: Stop drinking an hour before to prevent the urge to go to the bathroom during the ceremony.
- Plan ahead with the family and friends: You also need to ensure that all your guests are carrying the invitation cards required for their entry within the university campus. You also need to ensure that you share all the details of the ceremony with your guests who will be joining you so they can plan their day ahead. Make sure that you make a plan with your family members and friends ahead of time and meet at a significant landmark where you can meet after the ceremony.
- Be on a lookout for those networking opportunities: You will have amazing networking opportunities during the ceremony as you will meet new people from different professional backgrounds. Ensure that you grasp and take full advantage of this opportunity and benefit significantly from networking. We understand that it is easy to remain in the comfort zone of your friends and family, but the best lessons in life are learnt while you are reaching out.
- Don’t forget to thank your teachers and staff for their support: It’s important to show appreciation and acknowledge the mentors and educators that helped and guided you to achieve whatever you are today. Ensure that you visit them and thank them for the contributions they have made to your experience as a student. Appreciate them for it and let them know what it means to you. If you stay in touch, collect their phone numbers and email addresses. Showing gratitude will help you maintain future connections and distinguish you as an emerging leader. The entire effort might take a few minutes, but it will make a lasting impression on those who have made a significant impact on your life.
- Remember to enjoy: The ceremony is long, sure, but graduation does not happen every day! Take time to reflect upon the hard work you have done and pat yourself on the back. Listen to the commencement speech, have fun with your friends and loved ones. In its essence, the graduating day is all about taking pride in your achievements — and having fun. So remember to be happy and savour every moment.
Ensure you have ticked all these items on the checklist before you walk on that stage. So get dressed up and make the most of being the centre of attention for the day. Also, do not forget to reflect upon all the things that you have achieved – how arduous the journey has been, the deadlines and the late hours, the sacrifices that you have made, but also how sweet this victory is.