Thinking to go for Animal Biotechnology? But, before that have you heard about these facts about Animal Biotechnology? Have a look below.
What if animals like white tigers will get extinct? Maybe till not they would have got extinct! How would we or future generation able to see them? But thankfully, we have animal biotechnology. Techniques like genetic engineering helping the geneticists to save the endangered species.
What is Animal Biotechnology?
Animal biotechnology is the branch of biotechnology that uses molecular biology techniques to genetically engineer the animals so that their suitability for agricultural, pharmaceutical or industrial use can be improved. Its major aim is to genetically modify the animals that synthesize medicinal proteins, enhance resistance to diseases and improve growth.
Some Interesting facts about Animal Biotechnology
- With the help of animal biotechnology, it is possible to create animals that could be helpful in the Xenotransplantation, in the near future. Xenotransplantation is a process of transplanting living cells, organs or tissues from one organism to another.
- The first application of Animal Biotechnology was made back in 1980.
- With the augment of animal biotechnology and the animals produced through it, the demand for farm animals increased in the process of human organ transplantation.
- There are almost 105 licensed products for the betterment of animals, like biologic and diagnostic kits, veterinary vaccines, and so forth.
- The technique of gene therapy has helped many blind dogs, and they have been able to regain their sight. The process of gene therapy is the introduction of cells to replace the damaged cells or to replace the missing cells to get the genetic disorder correct
- The process of producing more high-quality dairy and beef products is made possible by animal biotechnology only, through artificial insemination. In this process, the sperms are disposed off in the female reproductive tract by the mechanical means for breeding.
Below are the available courses offered by animal biotechnology institutes in India. You can choose the course according to your suitability and choice!
Courses Available for under Animal Biotechnology
There is a broad range of programs animal biotechnology includes. Few of them are mentioned below:
- Bachelor of Science in Animal Science with Biotechnology as major
- Master of Science in Animal Science
- Master of Science in Animal Biotechnology
- Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences
- Ph.D. in Animal Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences or
- Ph.D. in Animal Sciences
These courses offer to learn of research methods, organic chemistry, genetics, animal nutrition, physiology, cellular biology, biostatistics, animal reproduction, infectious diseases, immunology of animals, etc.
Below are some other research areas you can put your hands on:
- Animal bacteria
- Gene expression
- Animal stem cell research
- Biotechnology approaches to drug resistance
- Genetic modification
- Animal Pharmacology
The Department of Animal Biotechnology has been doing commendable work ever since its inception. The field has ample opportunities to offer in the near future. Step up and enjoy the fascinating world of possibilities with Animal Biotechnology. Let’s save animals, benefit them and make this world a better place!