Dr. H.K. Verma
- Area Of Interest
- Award & Recognition
- Research & Publications
Prof. H.K. Verma is at present a Distinguished Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Dean Academic Affairs of Sharda University. Before joining Sharda University in July 2012, Dr. Verma had worked for 43 years at University of Roorkee / Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. He started his teaching / research career in September 1969 at University of Roorkee as a Senior Research Fellow, became Lecturer in July 1970, Reader in May 1975 and Professor in Feb 1982. For a period of two years, from Feb. 1980 to Feb. 1982, Dr. Verma took leave from University of Roorkee and worked as R&D Manager of a public limited company.
Prof. H.K. Verma headed the Department of Electrical Engineering of University of Roorkee from September 1991 to September 1994. He was Dean Research and Industrial Liaison of University of Roorkee / Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee for the period of May 2000 to April 2002, Dean of Sponsored Research and Industrial Consultancy of Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee from May 2002 to June 2003, Dean of Faculty Affairs from Aug. 2003 to Aug. 2004 and Deputy Director from May 2006 to July 2011. Prof. Verma officiated as Director of the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee for a short period of July 1 to July 31, 2011 before his superannuation on July 31, 2011.
H.K. Verma graduated in Electrical Engineering in 1967 from the University of Jodhpur and obtained Master of Engineering and Ph.D. degrees in 1969 and 1977, respectively, from the erstwhile University of Roorkee (now Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee).
Prof. Verma has published over 200 research papers, and guided 14 Ph.D. theses and 147 M.E./M.Tech. dissertations. He has been honoured twice, in 2004 and 2009, by the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee as a Distinguished Teacher. His current research interests include smart sensors and sensor networks, digital relays and power system protection, hydraulic measurements and hydro-electric power development, intelligent and energy-efficient buildings and smart grids. Prof. Verma is a fellow / life member of several professional societies / groups, including Institution of Engineers (India), Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers and International Society of Automation.
- Sr. Research Fellow Sep. 1969 – July 1970 Department of Electrical Engg, University of Roorkee
- Lecturer July 1970 – May 1975 Department of Electrical Engg, University of Roorkee
- Reader May 1975 – Feb. 1980 Department of Electrical Engg, University of Roorkee
- R & D Manager Feb. 1980 – Feb. 1982, Universal Electrics Ltd., Faridabad
- Professor Feb. 1982 – June 2012 Department of Electrical Engg, University of Roorkee/IIT Roorkee
- Distinguished Professor Since July 2012 Department of Electrical and Electronic Engg. School of Engineering and Technology Sharda University, Greater Noida
- Ph.D, Protection/Static Protective Relays
- M.E. (Hons.), Electrical Engineering (PSE)
- B. E., Electrical Engineering
- Power System Engineering, Instrumentation & Controls
- Chancellor’s Gold Medal, University of Roorkee, 1969, for securing First Position in M.E. (Electrical).
- The Central Board of Irrigation & Power Gold Medal, 1973 for the research paper “Improved Protection for 25 KV Traction Overhead Equipment”.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Prize, 1974–75, for the research paper “A Telemetry Unit for Hospitals”.
- The Union Ministry of Irrigation and Power Prize, 1977–78, for the research paper “Novel Circuits Applying Operational Amplifiers for Sampling Distance & Directional Relays”.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit, 1980–81, for the research paper “An Infrared Temperature Scanner”.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit, 1985–86, for the research paper “Microprocessor Based Load Shedding and Restoration Equipment”.
- The Systems Society of India Best Paper Award, 1986, for the research paper “Practical Oriented Design of Over–fluxing Relay for Grid Transformer”.
- The Systems Society of India Best Paper Award, 1987, for the research paper “An Integrated Relaying Scheme for Grid Transformer Protection”.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit, 1989–90, for the research paper “Ultrasonic Multi–flaw Location Indicator”
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit, 1990–91, for the research paper “Discrete Cosine Transform Application to Transformer Differential Relaying”.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit, 1990–91, for the research paper “Digital Differential Relaying for Generator Differential Protection”.
- The Systems Society of India Best paper Award, 1990, for the research paper “Digital Generator Differential Relay: Performance Evaluation”.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit, 1992–93, for the research paper “High Accuracy Measurement of Low Frequencies Using on 8–Bit Microprocessor”.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit, 1995–96, for the research paper “Adaptive Digital Differential Protection of Transformer: Improvement Over the Fixed–Bias Scheme”.
- Khosla Prize, University of Roorkee, 2001, for the research paper “ANN–Based QRS–Complex Analysis of ECG”.
- Outstanding Teacher Award–2004, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee.
- Outstanding Teacher Award–2009, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee.
- Research experience of 46 years
- Guided 14 Ph.Ds and 147 M. Tech. Dissertations
- Guiding 8 Ph.Ds and 6 M. Tech. Dissertations
- Over 200 research publications
- Over 150 technical reports
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers (India) (FIE)
- Fellow, Institution of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineers (FIETE)
- Fellow, Institution of Instrumentation Scientists & Technologists (FIIST)
- Life Member, Systems Society of India (SSI)
- Life Member, Bio-Medical Engineering Society of India (BMSI)
- Life Member, National Institution of Quality & Reliability (NIQR)
- Member, International Group for Hydraulic Efficiency Measurement (IGHEM)
- Member, International Society of Automation (ISA)
It was a great time we spent in Sharda University. Sharda has very wonderful faculty and they are very cooperative and campus environment is very positive. Training and placement department continuousHarshdeep Batra, MBA
It gives me great pleasure to say with pride that I have completed my post-graduation from School of Business Studies, Sharda University. The relationship between faculties and student is very cordialDeeksha Gupta, MBA - Marketing & Finance
Taking admission into Sharda is like paying for an exclusive world tour. The university is comprised of different people from different nationalities which makes it a global community for diverse learIkechukwu M. Torti, MBA – International Business
Building my career in Sharda University enriched my life. I can somehow see that my future is totally reliant on the career for which I am grateful to every faculty member of Chemistry Department, SchKanjur Wangdi, Master of Science (Integrated), Chemistry
Studying architecture in Sharda has widened my perspective and has given me an idea of the importance of architecture in today’s day and age. The faculties and staff are very helpful and are alwShreeyukti Shah, Architecture
Architecture is a field with uniqueness and individuality, the passion for which comes within the individual. Being a part of this course in Sharda University is like know your own individuality. TheZainab Manzoor, Architecture
Hi.. ! I am Mohd. Faizan studying in school of architecture and planning is currently in 3rd year in sharda university. It has been a great experience. Here in sharda we have great faculty membeMohd. Faizan, Architecture
Sharda University is the best university across the india and is known for its excellence . It has all the best facilities under one roof - state of infrastructure , erudite faculty , professional teaYamini Sharma, Architecture
I can positively say Sharda University has made me a better person. It has helped me develop a positive attitude towards my studies and discover more about myself. Teachers are very caring and inMohammad Arish, Architecture
Hello! I I am student of Sharda University pursuing Architecture. I am currently in 3rd year. It has been a great experience overall here in Sharda. we have a panel of great faculty members who aAparna Chatterjee, Architecture