Civil Engineering (CE)
The Department of Civil Engineering at Sharda University is a relatively new department, and is being developed, both in terms of faculty and infrastructure.
The department has people of eminence from academia as well as industry, who have exposure to future cutting – edge research programs in the field of Hydraulics, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Geodesy & Mapping, Geographic Information System & Remote Sensing and Global Positioning Systems.
The Department provides high-quality teaching and practical cognizance and also caters to the needs of efficient research, technical advisory and consultancy.
The Department aims to become a premier civil engineering institution in the world by imparting quality education, leadership in research, development and application of technology.
It also aims to achieve the milestone of being the department with highest ranks in terms of teaching standards, research contributions, consultancy, training and academic leadership.
Tech Fest: The Civil Engineering Departments led the two main events- The Setu Bridge Competition and The Megamind, of the Contrivance tech fest held on 29-30th March within the University premise. Mr. Prabhas K. Yadav, an Assistant Professor, from the department presided the two main events. More than 100 B.Tech. students of the department participated in different events of the Tech Fest."
- Research Collaboration: SU- IITD- TU Dresden (Germany) three party collaboration was initiated by Mr. Prabhas K. Yadav of the Civil Engineering Department. In this regard, Mr. Prabhas K. Yadav, Mr. Gaurav Goel , Mr. Jeevan Gaire were hosted by Prof. B. R. Chahar and Asst. Prof. Dr. C. T. Dhanya (both from IITD) on 19th April."
- Industrial Visits: 40 students of B. Tech 3rd year, accompanied by Prof. Gaurav Goel, visited the RMS Plant in Surajpur and learnt operation and Quality control measures. 17 students from B Tech 3rd and 4th year visited the DMRC construction site near Janakpuri and learnt the details of foundation preparation and building materials used in Metro Rail construction. 35 students from 2nd year visited the cement grinding plant of Ambuja Cement at NTPC Road, Dadri. The students learnt, in detail, the process of conversion of clinkers into fine cement."
- An Indo-German multi-institutional consortium including Dr. Prabhas Yadav, Dr. Gaurav Saini and Gaurav Goel (Dept. of Civil Engg., SU) and Prof. Shahana Majumdar (Dept. of Biotechnology, SU) recently submitted a research proposal titled “Sustainable reuse of Irrigation wastewater: Implications of subsurface technologies and hydro- bio-geo-chemical aspects” to Department of Biotechnology (DBT, India). The funding call is sponsored by Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), Germany. Other partner institutions include IITD, TU Dresden and Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ)."
- Research Papers: Chang, L., Haedel, F., Yadav, P., Binder, M., Liedl, R., and Dietrich, P. (2014), Evaluation and comparison of transverse dispersivity collected from experiments and field tests. Conference abstract-FH-DGG 2014, Bayreuth, Germany. Chaudhary, S., Lield, L., Yadav, P., Haendel, F., and Krause, T. (2014), Quantifying plume length with a two directional flow system using a 2 dimensional intermediate laboratory tank. Conference abstract-FHDGG 2014, Bayreuth, Germany."
- Prof. J. Durgaprasad completed his Doctoral requirements and was recently awarded PhD degree.
- Dr. Gaurav Saini, Pinaki Nayak and Gaurav Goel successfully completed 2-week long ISTE Main workshop on Fluid Mechanics, sponsored by MHRD and presented jointly by IIT-Kharaghpur and IIT-Mumbai. The faculty attended this workshop at the satellite center (Dronacharya College of Engineering, Greater Noida) from 20-30 May, 2014.
- Mr. Ruban Sugumar attended the Summer Faculty Research Fellowship Program-2014 at IIT-Delhi from June 2 to July 17.
- Dr. Gaurav Saini recently authored an Editorial for an international journal with an impact factor of 2.1.
- Dr. Prabhas Yadav is Returning Expert for "Competence in Motion" Unit of Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
- Our ICI Student Chapter has been awarded with the “Best Emerging Student Chapter” by the Indian Concrete Institute (ICI). 5 B Tech students represented the department at the award ceremony held on Sept 26 in Mumbai’s Wankhade Stadium. The award was presented to our students by Dr. S. Saraswati, President, ICI. Prof. Satyaprakash and other department faculty congratulated the students and called upon them to make an even better effort in this academic session.
- The Civil Engineering Society of Sharda University (CEESU) has recently started publishing a bi-monthly newsletter. This newsletter thrives to provide an alternative communication medium between the university management, faculties and student.
Seminars & Workshops
- Departement of Civil Engineering organised an Industrial visit to National Small Industries Coporation(NSIC) for final year and pre final year students of Civil Engineering on 23rd January 2017. National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC), is an ISO 9001-2008 certified Government of India Enterprise under Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME). 40 students visited NSIC along with one faculty member .
RMC Plant visit, NS Group, Surajpur, Greater Noida (Feb 7, 2014). 40 students of B. Tech 3rd year, accompanied by Prof. Gaurav Goel, visited the plant and learnt the RMC operation and Quality control measures.
- 17 students from B Tech 3rd and 4th year visited the DMRC construction site near Janakpuri and learnt the details of foundation preparation and building materials used in Metro Rail construction.
- 35 students from 2nd year visited the cement grinding plant of Ambuja Cement at NTPC Road, Dadri. The students were given a tour of the facilities and explained the process of cement production, testing and packaging. The students learnt, in detail, the process of conversion of clinkers into fine cement.
Sewage Treatment Plant Visit:
Click here to view all Seminars and conferences
Technical Skill Refinement Program (TSRP)
- April 1st, 2017- Hydrological Conceptual Models For Flood Forecasting by Prof. K.P.Singh, Click here to view presentation
- March 4, 2017- Vertical Transport Through Hyporheic Zone of Variably Clogged Riverbed by Moulshree Tripathi, Click here to view presentation.
- Feb 18, 2017- Sustainable Wastewater Treatment through Microbial Fuel Cells (MFC) by Dr. Gaurav Saini, Click here to view presentation.
- Feb 4, 2017 - Role of Fibre in Reinforcement of Structure During Earthquake by Ms. Chhavi Gupta, Click here to view presentation.
- Jan 21, 2017 - Analytical Models for Contaminated Site Management by Prabhas K. Yadav. Click here to view presentation.
- Strength of Materials: The laboratory offers facilities for testing building materials for their strength, behavior and suitability for various applications. The laboratory also provides material testing services, building material testing services, refractory material testing services and geological material testing services.
- Engineering Drawing: The facilities in this laboratory makes students get acquainted with the principles of projection, multi-dimensional view of objects, pictorial drawings and sketches, geometric construction, sectioning, lettering, tolerancing and dimensioning. It also lays emphasis upon analysis and graphic presentation of space relationships of fundamental geometric elements.
- Survey: This laboratory houses all the sophisticated instruments viz. Electronic Total Station, GPS, Theodolite, Auto levels, Vernier Theodolite, Digital Planimeter, Dumpy Levels, in addition with other fundamental equipment such as Chain, Tape, Compass, and Plane Table.
- Soil Mechanics:The space for this laboratory is well equipped with all instruments required for identification and classification of soils (w.r.t. physical and chemical properties) and strength testing of soil samples.
- Water Resources/ Hydrology/ Hydraulics: This is a combined laboratory equipped with flow measuring devices in pipes and flow measurements in open channels. Facilities are available for calibration of flow measuring devices as well as pressure testing of pipes and pumps. The equipments in the lab are Reynolds apparatus with coloured die injector arrangement, Metacentric height apparatus, Pipe friction apparatus, Bernoulli’s theorem apparatus, Loss in pipe fitting apparatus, Venturimeter and Orifice meter for flow measurement, Impact of jet apparatus, Notch apparatus, Darcy’s law apparatus and Surface tension apparatus.
- CAD/ CAM/ Geo-Informatics: This laboratory is an extension of the Engineering Drawing lab. In this, the students are taught working proficiency in CAD programs, such as AutoCAD and Pro/ENGINEER. This also has software for analysing the spatial data for Geo Informatics analysis.
- Structural Analysis Lab: Structural analysis laboratory aims at modelling structural systems in engineering domain and observing their mechanical behaviors. The lab is equipped with modern as well as traditional equipment for performing different experiments. Some equipment amongst the lot present in laboratory are Shear Force & Bending Moment Analysis Apparatus, Analysis of Two Hinged and Three-Hinged Arches, Deflection of Curved Members.
- Environmental Engineering Lab: The lab is well-equipped for characterisation and quality analysis of water and waste water. Composed of both wet-lab and digital instruments, the lab caters to environmental engineering and environmental chemistry aspects of our raw/drinking water supplies and municipal/industrial sewage. Some of the salient equipment include digital meters for measuring pH, turbidity, total dissolved solids and dissolved oxygen; instant residual chlorine kit; COD apparatus and Jar-test assembly for optimal coagulant dose.
- Concrete Lab: Facilities and equipment are available for handling and preparation of concrete, for testing Wet concrete properties, Temperature controlled ovens, In-situ Property Evaluation of concrete; Concrete core-cutting machine.
- Transportation Lab: The Transportation Engineering laboratory of the Civil Engineering focuses on transport related issues. The lab aims at promoting applied research and new methodologies in the field of transportation Engineering. The lab is equipped with equipment for conducting field and laboratory tests on Subgrade, Aggregates, Bituminous Materials and Bituminous Mixes; facilities for conducting traffic studies; facilities for assessing pavement performance and cyclic loading test equipment.
The department is in the process of developing other labs which shall be needed for the coming years.
It was a great time we spent in Sharda University. Sharda has very wonderful faculty and they are very cooperative and campus environment is very positive. Training and placement department continuousHarshdeep Batra, MBA
It gives me great pleasure to say with pride that I have completed my post-graduation from School of Business Studies, Sharda University. The relationship between faculties and student is very cordialDeeksha Gupta, MBA - Marketing & Finance
Taking admission into Sharda is like paying for an exclusive world tour. The university is comprised of different people from different nationalities which makes it a global community for diverse learIkechukwu M. Torti, MBA – International Business
Building my career in Sharda University enriched my life. I can somehow see that my future is totally reliant on the career for which I am grateful to every faculty member of Chemistry Department, SchKanjur Wangdi, Master of Science (Integrated), Chemistry
Studying architecture in Sharda has widened my perspective and has given me an idea of the importance of architecture in today’s day and age. The faculties and staff are very helpful and are alwShreeyukti Shah, Architecture
Architecture is a field with uniqueness and individuality, the passion for which comes within the individual. Being a part of this course in Sharda University is like know your own individuality. TheZainab Manzoor, Architecture
Hi.. ! I am Mohd. Faizan studying in school of architecture and planning is currently in 3rd year in sharda university. It has been a great experience. Here in sharda we have great faculty membeMohd. Faizan, Architecture
Sharda University is the best university across the india and is known for its excellence . It has all the best facilities under one roof - state of infrastructure , erudite faculty , professional teaYamini Sharma, Architecture
I can positively say Sharda University has made me a better person. It has helped me develop a positive attitude towards my studies and discover more about myself. Teachers are very caring and inMohammad Arish, Architecture
Hello! I I am student of Sharda University pursuing Architecture. I am currently in 3rd year. It has been a great experience overall here in Sharda. we have a panel of great faculty members who aAparna Chatterjee, Architecture