Department of chemistry is an integral part of School of Basic Sciences and Research. The strength of the department is its highly qualified faculty and quality of academic education. Department has state-of-the-art laboratory for undergraduate and postgraduate students well equipped with sophisticated instruments as per the syllabi.
Department offers three years B.Sc. (Hons.) and two years M.Sc. in physical, inorganic, organic chemistry and material chemistry. Department also offers the Ph.D. program and four years integrated M.Sc program in various disciplines of chemistry. All the faculty members are committed to guide the student at all times with their valuable suggestions. The department organizes interdisciplinary workshops and seminars regularly for students. The chemistry club of the department caters to the doubts of students about different competitive exams.
- Three years (06 semesters) B.Sc.( Hons.) program in Chemistry
- Four years (08 semesters) integrated M.Sc. program in Chemistry
- Two years (04 semesters) M.Sc. in Chemistry with specialization in Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Physical chemistry and Material Science
- One semester Chemistry for engineers in undergraduate engineering courses
- Open electives for B.Tech semesters 06 and 08 respectively.
Department has three sponsored research projects from Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME), New Delhi sanctioned under Business Incubation Centre (BIC) as listed below.
- Development of light emitting diodes.
- Antibacterial nanomaterial embedded fabrics for medical applications.
- Biodiesel production from waste vegetable and non-edible oils using nanoparticle catalyst for commercial purposes.
Further, almost all faculty members of the department has been awarded financially by the university for overall contribution in teaching and research. International Students have been awarded M.Sc. Degree in Chemistry.
Placement: Nasir Bashir and Pooja Rani have been selected for the senior associate position with Innodata
Arun Solanki has been selected as quality control chemist at India glycol limited, Selaqui( Dehradun)
Seminars & Workshops
- A Special Lecture on "Science and sustainability in the 21st century: Academia-Industry Interface" by Prof. A K Singh, IIT Bombay (Former Vice-Chancellor, University of Allahabad), 26 April, 2017.
- Chemistry Club, Department of Chemistry, conducted “Test series for the preparation of UGC-NET exam” on 9th Jan, 10 Feb, 24 March 2017 in continuation of previous year 2016.
- A visit to Instrumentation lab, Department of Chemistry, IIT-New Delhi, 23 March 2017.
- A visit to University Science and Instrumentation Centre (USIC), Delhi University, 22 March, 2017.
- A talk on "Tricks to crack UGC-NETexam" in chemical sciences by Dr. Noopur Srivastava, 17 March, 2017.
- An invited talk on “Overview of Biochemistry and its Impact in Medicine”, 21 February 2017.
- Chemistry club, Department of Chemistry organised a “Hands on training on Origin Software” on 20th of February, 2017 for M.Sc 1st and 2nd year chemistry students.
- A Special Lecture on "Overview of Global Scenario on High Energy Materials" by Dr. J.P. Agrawal (Former Director, Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), Pune, 16 February, 2017.
- An interactive workshop on " Give wings to your research idea", 4 February, 2017.
- An industrial visit to British Paints India Limited (Berger Paints Division) Sikandrabad Unit, Uttar Pradesh, 20 January, 2016.
- Industrial visit to TEVA API pharmaceutical industry, Greater Noida, 13 January, 2017.
- Chemistry club “UGC NET Test Series-III” on 21st October, 2016 for PG students of the department of Chemistry.
- Department of Chemistry organized an awareness program “Prudent Laboratory Practices and Fire Fighting” on 21st September 2016. The program was conducted by Mr. Sanjeev Kumar Sharma, Manager, Environment, Health & Safety, Jubilant Generics Limited Noida.
- Chemistry club, Department of Chemistry organized a “Hands on training on Chemdraw Software” on 9th & 15th of September, 2016 for B.Sc 1st Chemistry students.
Two well settled labs each for under graduate and post graduate level. Two state-of-the-art laboratories; two for undergraduate and one for postgraduate. We are providing a complete range of equipment facilities and technical expertise to the to the UG and OG laboratories. The department is also served a wide range of research grade equipments and spectrometer.
Research & Publications
The Department of chemistry faculty and research programs place it at this leading edge of scientific research. With substantial funding from government and industrial sponsors, our research interest are multidisciplinary and diverse, this enables the department to offer wide choice of topics for research such as water remediation, drug synthesis, bio adsorbent of waste water, nano composites of crop production, chemical sensors etc.
Recent publication of the department:
- Dr. Sheetal Monga: Optimization of controlled ring-opening polymerization of L-lactide to hydroxyl terminated polylactides using zinc acetate catalyst, Polymer Bulletin, 2017.
- Dr. Prateeti : Group 12 metal complexes of (2-piperazine-1-ylethyl)-pyridin-2-yl-methylene-amine: rare participation of terminal piperazine N in coordination leads to structural diversity†, Dalton Trans., 2017,46, 2184-2195.
- Dr. Geeta Durga (Book Chapter) Ionic Liquids: Industrial Applications" for the Sustainable Inorganic Chemistry volume, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2016, pg. 221.
- Prof. N.B. Singh: F. N. Okoye, J.Durgaprasad and N.B.Singh, Effect of silica fume on the mechanical properties of fly ash based-geopolymer concrete, Ceramics International (Elsevier) 42(2), Part B, ( 2016) 3000–3006
- Jayram Singh and N.B.Singh,The Solidification behaviour and Phase Equilibrium of o-Nitroaniline – β –Naphthol Binary Eutectic System, Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals (Taylor and Francis) 624(1) (2016) 224-235.
- Garima Nagpal, A.Bhattacharya and N.B.Singh, Removal of chromium (VI) from aqueous solution by carbon waste from thermal power plant, Desalination and water treatment (Taylor and Francis). IF: 0.988, 57 (2016) 9765–9775
- Garima Nagpal, A.Bhattacharya and N.B.Singh, Cu(II) ion removal from aqueous solution using different adsorbents, Desalination and Water Treatment (Taylor and Francis). IF: 0.988, 57 (2016) 9789–9798
- Garima Nagpal, A.Bhattacharya and N.B.Singh, Taguchi’s optimizing technology for removal of As(III) from aqueous solution by Khangar, Asian Journal of Chemistry (Scopus)28(4)(2016)814-818
- Sonal Agrawal and N.B.Singh, Removal of Toxic Hexavalent Chromium from aqueous solution by Nickel ferrite-Polyaniline nanocomposite, Desalination and Water Treatment, (Taylor and Francis)57(38)(2016)17757-17766
- N.B.Singh and Sonal Agrawal, Nanocomposite-A Review, Emerging Materials Research(ICE) 5(1)(2016)5-43
- B.P.Choudhary and N.B.Singh, Properties of Silver Phosphate Glass in the Presence of Nanosize Cobalt and Nickel Oxides, J..Non Cryst. Solids (Elsevier) 440, (2016)59–69
- B.P.Choudhary, Sarita Rai and N.B.Singh, Properties of Silver Phosphate Glass doped with Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles, Ceramics International (Elsevier),42(2016)10813-10825
- Sonal Agrawal and N.B.Singh Arsenic Removal from aqueous solution by Nickel ferrite-Polyaniline nanocomposite, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, NISCAIR,23(2016)374-383
- F.N.Okoye, and N.B.Singh, Mechanical Properties of High Volume Fly Ash Concrete, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) , 13(3)(2016)1-8
- Vandana Gupta, Anupam Agarwa, M. K. Singh & N. B. Singh, Torque Blue Dye Removal from water solution by Kail Sawdust , Asian Journal of Water, Environment and Pollution,(Scopus) 13(4)(2016) 59–67.
- B.P.Choudhary and N.B.Singh, Preparation, characterization and structural investigation of Fe3+ doped silver phosphate glass, Bulletin of Materials Science (Springer)39(7)(2016)1651-1663
- Meenu Kalra, Mukesh Kumar and N.B.Singh, Properties of concrete made from Quaternary Blended cement - Fly Ash-Metakaolin-Bone Powder – Portland cement, International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology (IJCIET),(Scopus)7(6)(2016)298-313
- F.N.Okoye, Satya Prakash and N.B.Singh Durability of fly ash based geopolymer concrete in the presence of silica fume, Journal of Cleaner Production(Elsevier),149(2017) 1062–1067
- Sani Nazifi Dalhatu, Mukesh Kumar, S.K.Saxena and N.B Singh, ,Hydration Reaction of Metakaolin Blended Cement in the presence of Super Plasticizer, International Journal of Advanced Research (IJAR)(in press)
- N.B.Singh, Meenu Kalra and S.K.Saxena, Nanoscience of Cement and Concrete, Materials Today Proceedings (Elsevier) (in press)
- Subodh Barthwal and N. B. Singh, ZnO-CNT Nanocomposite : A Device as Electrochemical Sensor, Materials Today Proceedings (Elsevier) (in press)
- S.K.Saxena, Mukesh Kumar and N.B.Singh, Fire Resistant Properties of Alumino Silicate Geopolymer cement Mortars, Materials Today Proceedings (Elsevier) (in press)
- S.K. Shukla, Chandra Shekhar Kushwaha, N.B.Singh, Recent developments in conducting polymer based composites for sensing devices, Materials Today Proceedings (Elsevier) (in press)
- J. Singh, and N. B. Singh, Crystallization and simulation studies in m-dinitrobenzene – p chloroaniline eutectic system, Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A, (Springer) (in press)
List of Students awarded Ph.D. Degree in 2016
- Ms.Sonal Agrawal
- Mr. Jayram Singh
- Ms.Garima Nagpal
It was a great time we spent in Sharda University. Sharda has very wonderful faculty and they are very cooperative and campus environment is very positive. Training and placement department continuousHarshdeep Batra, MBA
It gives me great pleasure to say with pride that I have completed my post-graduation from School of Business Studies, Sharda University. The relationship between faculties and student is very cordialDeeksha Gupta, MBA - Marketing & Finance
Taking admission into Sharda is like paying for an exclusive world tour. The university is comprised of different people from different nationalities which makes it a global community for diverse learIkechukwu M. Torti, MBA – International Business
Building my career in Sharda University enriched my life. I can somehow see that my future is totally reliant on the career for which I am grateful to every faculty member of Chemistry Department, SchKanjur Wangdi, Master of Science (Integrated), Chemistry
Studying architecture in Sharda has widened my perspective and has given me an idea of the importance of architecture in today’s day and age. The faculties and staff are very helpful and are alwShreeyukti Shah, Architecture
Architecture is a field with uniqueness and individuality, the passion for which comes within the individual. Being a part of this course in Sharda University is like know your own individuality. TheZainab Manzoor, Architecture
Hi.. ! I am Mohd. Faizan studying in school of architecture and planning is currently in 3rd year in sharda university. It has been a great experience. Here in sharda we have great faculty membeMohd. Faizan, Architecture
Sharda University is the best university across the india and is known for its excellence . It has all the best facilities under one roof - state of infrastructure , erudite faculty , professional teaYamini Sharma, Architecture
I can positively say Sharda University has made me a better person. It has helped me develop a positive attitude towards my studies and discover more about myself. Teachers are very caring and inMohammad Arish, Architecture
Hello! I I am student of Sharda University pursuing Architecture. I am currently in 3rd year. It has been a great experience overall here in Sharda. we have a panel of great faculty members who aAparna Chatterjee, Architecture