Initiated in the year 2009, the Department of Biotechnology started with a vision to impart in-depth knowledge of biotechnology to create a pool of scientific personnel with expertise in biological engineering. Since then the department has endeavoured to educate and train its students to develop proficiency in each sector of biotechnology. The department is successfully running undergraduate (B.Tech), postgraduate (M.Sc and M.Tech) and doctoral programmes. The scheme of courses has been designed keeping in the demand trend in mind. A conscious effort has been made so that curriculum of each programme integrates courses of biological sciences and engineering together with relevant laboratory programs, and a compulsory research project of variable duration.
The university has recognized the significant role being played by biotechnologists in industrial development and has sought to implement an integrated approach towards education and research. The department strongly believes a teacher has to be involved in active research to be in touch with the recent development in the subject so as to deliver the latest know-how. The department has a strong interdisciplinary research and teaching base in biological sciences and engineering which prepares the student for industry as well as research programs.
All the basic infrastructural facilities needed for conducting teaching and research programmes in different areas of Biotechnology have been developed in the department. The department is housed in a newly constructed building consisting of classrooms with audio-visual facilities well-equipped students laboratories, research laboratories, special lab for molecular biology, genetic engineering, plant tissue culture, Microbial technology , nano biotechnology and bioinformatics. the students undergo project training in modern biotechnology viz bioinformatics, genomics nano biotechnology, cancer cell signaling , plant and animal Biotechnology, structure base drug design, neuro biology, etc.
The department faculty has also been contributing to high quality research in front line areas of Biotechnology, Faculty members also collaborate with scientists from national and international institute namely Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Science (DRDO LAB, Delhi), Institute of Genomics and integrated biology (CSIR LAB, Delhi), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-D), Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Indian Agriculture Research Institute, etc. Brilliant faculties have published papers in national and international journals, file patents and developed biotechnology product (software)
Dr. Tejpal Dhewa BCAS, University of Delhi, New Delhi- recently visited Sharda University for imparting training on Latest technology for Viral detection to our students. He said “Students are sincere, hard working and really curious to learn latest technologies around. And Faculty members are also co-operative and doing work hard to shape future of the students.”
Dr. Dinesh Singh (Principal Scientist), Division of Plant Pathology (Indian Agriculture Research Institute New Delhi) also agreed that the projects performed by our UG and PG students are of good quality. He said “I have been in the academics for more than 25 years, and am extremely impressed by the earnestness of the students of Biotechnology Department to learn and their effort to prove themselves. I found them to be really smart in tackling problems in new area of research. I must appreciate the effort of the Department for grooming its students for various industry and agriculture so rigorously.”
The faculty in the department is working in the area of Molecular drug Design, targeted and advanced delivery systems for infectious diseases and cancer, SNP microarray for human diseases, molecular markers for cancer, Toxicology and pharmaceutics, Diagnosis of Plant viruses.
- B.Tech. in Biotechnology
- B.Sc. in Biotechnology
- M.Sc. in Biotechnology
- M.Tech in Biotechnology
- M.Tech in Animal Biotechnology
- M.Tech in Plant Biotechnology
- M.Sc in Microbiology
- PhD. in Biotechnology
- Certificate course in Clinical data management and clinical trials
- MBA in Biotechnology
Initiated in the year 2009 the department was started with a vision to impart in-depth knowledge of biotechnology to create a pool of scientific personnel with expertise in biological engineering. Since then the department has endeavoured to educate and train its students to develop proficiency in each sector of biotechnology. Since its inception department is successfully running undergraduate (B.Tech), postgraduate (M.Sc and M.Tech) and doctoral programmes. The scheme of courses has been designed keeping in the demand trend in mind. A conscious effort has been made so that curriculum of each programme integrates courses of biological sciences and engineering together with relevant laboratory programs, and a compulsory research project of variable duration.
The university has recognized the significant role being played by biotechnologists in industrial development and has sought to implement an integrated approach towards education and research. The department strongly believes a teacher has to be involved in active research to be in touch with the recent development in the subject so as to deliver the latest knowhow. The department has a strong interdisciplinary research and teaching base in biological sciences and engineering which prepares the student for industry as well as research programs.
- Dr. B.K Malik, Distinguished Professor and former Deputy director, Institute and Genomics and Integrative Biology( IGIB), CSIR, Delhi was invited as special guest at 6th World Congress in Biotechnology, New Delhi in October 2015. He also chaired the session in the above congress whose recognition was given by National Institute of Health(NIH) director, USA.
- Dr. Rita Singh Majumdar, Professor &HOD of the department received “Established Scientist award-2015 by Scientific Planet Society(SPS), for her outstanding contribution in Life Science research and education community. She was invited as a key speaker in National Seminar on “Recent trends in Chemical Sciences: Global opportunities and Challenges in January 2016 sponsored by UGC.
- Dr. Pankaj Taneja, Associate Professor in our department was invited as Consultant Scientist in June 2015 for molecular profiling in radiation oncology research at University of Florida and Entrinsic Health LLC, USA. He also has been awarded of India’s most prestigious Ramalingaswamy grant of 74.5 lacs from DBT, Delhi.
- Dr. Amit Kumar Singh was recently awarded INSA grant of Rs 15 Lakhs. Department of Biotechnology is involved in active research and submit scientific grants. The faculty has published 12 scientific paper in high impact factor journals in the last one year.
- Campus recruitment for the department has also been very successful with student placement rate of 77% for 2012-13 batch and 86% for 2013-14 batch. Some students from final year B.Tech programme have qualified GATE and some PG students have cleared CSIR-UGC NET examination. Further,our students also go for higher studies in premier Universities and Institutes in India, USA, and Europe. For Example- One of our B.Tech student Mahroof got prestigious International DAAD Fellowship for doing project work in the University of Bremen Germany.
- Toxicology and pharmaceutics, Diagnosis of Plant viruses.
- Recent Activities/Events/News
- National Conference on Ethics copyright, plagiarism in Research and Publication jointly organized by Central Council for Research in Homeopathy (CCRH) and Society of Social Development and people action (SDPA) was held on 8th August 2015. Prof. Rita Singh, HoD, Dept of Biotechnology SET and Dr. B.K. Malik, Distinguished Professor Dept. of Biotech, SET attended the Conference . Prof Rita Singh chaired the Scientific session. A lecture was given by Prof. B.K.Malik.
- An article " Ethics in Research- An overview"authored by Dr. B.K. Malik and Dr. Rita S Majumdar has been published in the Proceeding of the Conference.
- Department of Biotechnology, School of Engineering and Technology (SET), Sharda University, Gr. Noida organized one day workshop on “Environment Impact Assessment (EIA): Concept and Scope (Career opportunities in Impact Assessment)” on September 19, 2015.
- The workshop was inaugurated by Prof. Rita Singh, Head, Department of Biotechnology, Sharda University.
- Dr. A K Rathoure (Sr. Manager, Vardan Environment, Gurgaon) and Dr. Tejpal Dhewa (Department of Microbiology, BCAS, University of Delhi South Campus) delivered the keynote lectures on the subjects. The speakers emphasized the importance of Environmental impact Assessment (EIA), its application and future prospective to the students.
- One hundred seventy-seven students from various institutions viz. namely Sharda University, Mangalmay Institute, and HIMT, etc .Gr. Noida participated in the Workshop.Live demonstration sessions were conducted for the participants so that they can comprehend about the EIA related issues. Students were enlightened about the EIA so that they can pick up this emerging area for their future career. The live demonstration followed by the Quiz completion on the theme. The event was supported by the faculty members, technical and non-teaching staff.
- Dr. B.K. Malik, Distinguished Professor of Biotechnology, at School of Engineering and Technology, Sharda University presented his work as an invited lecture on “Genome to future drug discovery and design in cancer and infectious diseases” in 6th World Congress on Biotechnology from October 5-7, 2015, New Delhi organized by “Omics International”. He chaired the session and was honored guest at the opening ceremony of the Congress.
- Prof. B.K.Malik and his students Rajni Jaiswal, Nameet Kaur and Mustafa Alhajiisa presented abstracts in the congress. Rajni Jaiswal, Nameet Kaur, and Mustafa gave poster presentations at the congress.
- Nameetkaur got the best poster award by the congress. Nameetkaur also received Special Appreciation award by Omics International and editors of Contributing Journals in the congress for her outstanding Leadership, Commitment, and Engagement towards Moderating the 6th World Congress on Biotechnology. The papers of the group were published in the proceedings of the congress as below:
- BK Malik “Genome to future drug discovery and design in cancer and infectious diseases” J Biotechnol Biomater 5 issue 6, 50 (2015).
- BK Malik, Sunkara Mounika, Vaishali Chakraborty,Yogesh Kumar Jakhar, Poonam Malik, Neha Malik, Uzma Khanam, Nameet Kaur, Mustafa Alhajiisa “Pathway Modeling of Prostate Cancer, Breast Cancer, and Tuberculosis BKBK” J Biotechnol Biomater 5 issue 6, 344 (2015).
- Nameet Kaur, B.K. Malik and Nidhee Chaudhary “Some Parameters of Partially Purified Superoxide Dismutase Isolated from Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum): A Therapeutic Enzyme” J Biotechnol Biomater 5 issue 6, 287 (2015).
- BK Malik, Mukesh Kumar Meher, Isha Sharma, Uzma Khanam ,Poonam Malik, Neha Malik and Rajni Jaiswal “Molecular Modeling and Docking of Target Proteins of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS) and Cystitis” J Biotechnol Biomater 5 issue 6, 346 (2015).
Seminars & Workshops
- The Department also organizes inter-departmental research work, seminars and scientific talks by eminent scientists of India. Recently Prof. Guruprasad Shrivastava, Director, Research & Emeritus Scientist at C.S. Azad University of Agriculture & Technology, Kanpur , Professor Dr. CVS Siva Prasad , IIIT Professor & Head, Dept of Bioinformatics, Allahabad, Dr. Tejpal Dhewa, Department Of Microbiology, Bhaskaracharya College of Applied Sciences, University of Delhi Dr Pamela Knight, Edinburgh University visited the department for scientific Talk. Time-to-time the department also organizes industrial visit and educational tours for the students. Recently the students of M.Tech and M.Sc visited the Unit of Mother Dairy at Lakshminagar, Delhi.
- Educational tours to different research institutions and industrial houses and laboratories in the different parts of the country are routinely organized by the institute to help students not only to network with their scientists, researchers and corporate leaders but also to expose them to different work environments beyond the walks of the institute. This way they increase their mental dimensions and become better equipped to handle transition from college premises / academics to research studies and industrial jobs. All attempts are made to nurture and develop the scientific attitude in every students while also concentration on their personality development them giving holistic approach to the learning and education
January to April 2014 updates
- Bio-ethanol production: In response to the global environmental demand students of biotechnologyhave started working on research projects with sustainabledevelopment themes. The broad areas are Bio-ethanol production,Methane production and Vermi-composting. The group working on Bio-ethanol production is exploring different cellulosic and lignin containing plant parts as the raw material for ethanol production. These parts are not consumed as food and are considered a waste by agricultural industry."
- Conference Attended: Dr. Amit Kumar Singh and five students from the department (Two fromM.Tech Biotechnology and 3 from B.Tech Biotechnology) attended an International Conference at AIIMS, New Delhi, from 27-28 February 2014 on “Current Trends in Structure Biology and Thrombosis”. Main highlight of the conference was a lecture by Nobel Laureate Prof. Robert Huber and a Panel Discussion between young students andexpert speakers. The students also attended a workshop on Structure Biology."
The department offers well-equipped labs with modernized Equipment. All lectures are taken on SMART class based LCD projectors. At present, the department is running B.Sc, M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes where students are being exposed to learning and research in principles. Special efforts are made to help weaker students by arranging special lectures, tutorials, etc and related study materials are provided in soft or hard copy. Several scientific research projects including DBT funded Ramalingaswamy project and INSA funded project are running in the department by our eminent biotechnology faculties.
The Laboratory is well equipped with all modern biotechnological instruments are maintained and supported by trained scientists & skilled laboratory technicians. The department is having the following instruments for regular practical classes and research purposes. These are: Spectrophotometer, Gel Electrophoresis, Centrifuge, Electronic Balance, Spectrophotometer UV-1700, Water Bath, Autoclave, Microscope, Orbital Incubator Shaker, Electronic Analytical balance, HPLC, PCR, Gel Doc. System, Fermentor (2 Lit, capacity), Muffle furnace, Plant Growth Chamber, etc.
It was a great time we spent in Sharda University. Sharda has very wonderful faculty and they are very cooperative and campus environment is very positive. Training and placement department continuousHarshdeep Batra, MBA
It gives me great pleasure to say with pride that I have completed my post-graduation from School of Business Studies, Sharda University. The relationship between faculties and student is very cordialDeeksha Gupta, MBA - Marketing & Finance
Taking admission into Sharda is like paying for an exclusive world tour. The university is comprised of different people from different nationalities which makes it a global community for diverse learIkechukwu M. Torti, MBA – International Business
Building my career in Sharda University enriched my life. I can somehow see that my future is totally reliant on the career for which I am grateful to every faculty member of Chemistry Department, SchKanjur Wangdi, Master of Science (Integrated), Chemistry
Studying architecture in Sharda has widened my perspective and has given me an idea of the importance of architecture in today’s day and age. The faculties and staff are very helpful and are alwShreeyukti Shah, Architecture
Architecture is a field with uniqueness and individuality, the passion for which comes within the individual. Being a part of this course in Sharda University is like know your own individuality. TheZainab Manzoor, Architecture
Hi.. ! I am Mohd. Faizan studying in school of architecture and planning is currently in 3rd year in sharda university. It has been a great experience. Here in sharda we have great faculty membeMohd. Faizan, Architecture
Sharda University is the best university across the india and is known for its excellence . It has all the best facilities under one roof - state of infrastructure , erudite faculty , professional teaYamini Sharma, Architecture
I can positively say Sharda University has made me a better person. It has helped me develop a positive attitude towards my studies and discover more about myself. Teachers are very caring and inMohammad Arish, Architecture
Hello! I I am student of Sharda University pursuing Architecture. I am currently in 3rd year. It has been a great experience overall here in Sharda. we have a panel of great faculty members who aAparna Chatterjee, Architecture