Prosthodontics is the branch of Dentistry pertaining to the restoration & maintenance of oral function, comfort, appearance & health of the patient by the restoration of natural teeth and or replacement of missing teeth & craniofacial tissue with artificial substitutes.
Prosthodontist bring back the psychological confidence and Happiness in chewing.
The Department of Prosthodontics is concerned with Prosthetic rehabilitation of the patient and training the under graduate students. Aims of the department are:
- To establish high professional and clinical standards for the practice of prosthodontics.
- To promote prosthodontics as a formally recognized specialist branch of dentistry as well as an integral part of general dental practice.
- To encourage and maintain the study and clinical advancement of prosthodontics.
- To support, protect and advance the profession of dentistry insofar as it relates to prosthodontics.
Teaching and training program of the department
The under graduate training program includes Lectures, Seminars, Clinical Experience and Clinical teaching. In the period of five year dental curriculum, students are exposed to a wide range of patients with prosthetic problem and all student get extensive pre-clinical & clinical experience in the department. At undergraduate level clinical exposure involves chair side demonstrations, clinical discussions, exposure to complete denture and removable partial dentures cases & introduction to fixed partial dentures cases.
Entire biomedical waste generated in the department is segregated, collected and disposed according to Bio-Medical Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 1998.
Various treatment modalities available in the department
- Complete Denture
- Partial Denture
- Fixed Partial Denture (Crown & Bridges)
- Implant Supported Dentures
- Night guard, and
- Obturator, Ocular Prosthesis, Ear Prosthesis, etc.